Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,154

2 members and 3,152 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Has Refused Food For A Week Or More, could husbandry be the issue?

That's what the tub setup looks like. Hot side temp is usually 88-92 regulated with a thermometer, the cool side temp is usually around 78-80, only time it ever dips into the 77 range is sometimes if it gets cold at night when I'm at work. She's in a 15qt tub, She has two small hides (the reptile basics block black plastic ones that she seems maybe to be outgrowing but she tends to fit in them when she wants to), and a small dish of water. Her humidity is normal, usually between 50-60, sometimes creeping over for a bit if she spills a bit of water or urinates. She was roughly 180g last week when I weighed her. She had a roughly 20g mouse last week and she seemed to eat it fine, didn't even really hesitate. Tried to eat it tail end first but she eventually got it down once when she managed to get the hind legs in. I switched her over from weanlings to adult mice because I was feeding her weanlings and then a few days later she'd be up looking around the tank again for food. She started looking for food about a week after I fed her the adult mouse but now she won't take them. Doesn't even really seem interested. I didn't change anything about the way I presented them to her or the way I thawed them, but she's just not taking to it. She doesn't seem to be going into shed. Only change I made was taking her off cyprus bedding this week to control the humidty but even then I did that AFTER the first time she refused the food so I don't think that's the reason. Any advice?
    Last edited by redr0bin; 05-07-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Do you mean the UTH is plugged into a thermostat? A thermometer only reads the temperature, it doesn't regulate the heat.

At her size, if she refuses, I wouldn't handle her or offer a meal until 4-6 days later or so, and see if she takes it. Overhandling could make them refuse food too.

Anything you've changed, including bedding, could cause them to refuse... I had a young BP about that size refuse food a couple times after switching her from paper towel to aspen. Then once I switched back to paper towel, she started eating again
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-07-2017 at 04:56 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

redr0bin (05-07-2017)

Thanks
    Husbandry sounds fine. Maybe she's just going into shed or maybe just not hungry. Wait a week and try again.

Thanks

Re: Has Refused Food For A Week Or More, could husbandry be the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Do you mean the UTH is plugged into a thermostat? A thermometer only reads the temperature, it doesn't regulate the heat.

At her size, if she refuses, I wouldn't handle her or offer a meal until 4-6 days later or so, and see if she takes it. Overhandling could make them refuse food too.

Anything you've changed, including bedding, could cause them to refuse... I had a young BP about that size refuse food a couple times after switching her from paper towel to aspen. Then once I switched back to paper towel, she started eating again
    Sorry, yes, you're right, UTH is plugged into thermostat. I always mix the two up when I'm speaking/typing.

Only thing that worries me is she's active a lot during the day but I can't pinpoint a single reason she'd be stressed so I'd have to assume it's hunger, but I guess I'll find out.
    Last edited by redr0bin; 05-07-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redr0bin View Post
    Sorry, yes, you're right, UTH is plugged into thermostat. I always mix the two up when I'm speaking/typing.

Only thing that worries me is she's active a lot during the day but I can't pinpoint a single reason she'd be stressed so I'd have to assume it's hunger, but I guess I'll find out.
    How is her ambient temp? If that's too cold, it could make them active and refuse food too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    How is her ambient temp? If that's too cold, it could make them active and refuse food too.
    Ambient temp is roughly 80 so it shouldn't be too cold, that's really where it's always been and refusal has never been an issue 'til now. She's always taken her food on the first go.

Thanks

80 ambient is good

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about it. Your husbandry seems fine. Sometimes balls will be balls. I would just leave her alone for 5-7 days and try again then. If it was me, I'd wait a week.

Could be an upcoming shed. Could just be a BP doing what BPs will sometimes do...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-08-2017)