Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,597

0 members and 2,597 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Question New BP owner, have a few questions.

I've had my smallest ball python (about two feet) for a month, and my largest (about four feet) for three weeks or so.
    The big guy, Pierre, eats a LOT. I know that they'll eat almost every time you offer food, but he's active and acts hungry a lot. We've moved him up to rats, instead of lots of mice but he still seems hungry. Is this normal?
    Jaques, the small guy eats 3 mice per week and is still sort of active but not nearly as much as Pierre.

Then ... one of my friends saw my snakes and fell in love, so he went to get some.
    He got a tiny one first. She's about a foot long. He's had her for about a week and a half and she hasn't been interested in eating. He had mice that were bigger than her at first, so we traded mice 'cause we had some much smaller ones but she still didn't seem interested. She seems dry and skiddish. She doesn't look like she's going to shed, but is that a possibility?

The next one he got is bigger than his first. This one eats fine and isn't head shy or anything. The only issue with him is he seems to have a zit on the back of his neck, right by his head. I don't know how to explain it other than it looks like a zit between his scales.
    Is this something that will come off with a shed, or should he worry?

Sorry about all the questions, I'm wanting to be sure all the snakies are fine and he doesn't have the internet.

Thanks everyone ^.^
    Last edited by CookieCutter; 02-23-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: length corrections

Thanks

Re: New BP owner, have a few questions.

Hi so I can't answer too much about the big guy with the zit but as for the little one that's not eating, I actually just had this problem with my little guy. First if she is about to shed she may not be interested in eating because she feels to vulnerable to eat. Second she may be dehydrated like mine was. In this case I would take her to the vet for a check up so they can tell you exactly what it is and then try feeding her a very small pinky or fuzzy mouse. Mine wouldn't eat at all until we offered him a pinky and so far he has eaten 2 only a couple days apart. They are much less threatening and can help you get into a regular feeding schedule. I was told that if he didnt eat the pinky we offered him then i might have to start syringe feeding him in order to get his weight up. Sounds like your not to this point yet but probably dont want to get there because thats no fun for anybody. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks

Well, adult ball pythons need to be on small or medium rats anyway. Offer him a rat the size of the thickest part of his body. In fact, all ball pythons should be on rats. Your baby should probably be on rat fuzzies or pups. They are healthier. New ball pythons should be allowed to settle in for at least a week before attempting to feed at all. The snake is probably still stressed. Is is captive born or captive hatched? If it was bought at a pet store that could be an issue...Baby ball pythons are a real pain to get eating. Especially pet store imports.
    Last edited by tsealock; 02-23-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    2.1 Pastels
    1.0 Bumblebee "Psycho"
    1.0 het Albino "Monty"
    0.1 Albino "Misty"
    0.1 Poss. het. Albino "J-Lo"
    0.1 Kenyan Sand boa "Peachy" 13 years old
    0.1 English Mastiff "Princess Pickles"
    1.0 MinPin "Reco"
    0.1 Sumatran Red Blood python "Kim Kardashian"
    1.0 Jungle Giant Leopard Gecko
    0.1 Lavender Reverse Stripe Super Giant Leopard Gecko
    1.1 Het Albino Ball pythons
    1.0 Cinnamon ball python
    0.1 Hypo Boa

Thanks

Provide more hides for your smaller bp, one on each side cool and warm, preferably identical so he doesnt have to go comfort over temp control. You may also want to provide him a little scenery so he feels more secure, they are very secretive. You can just crumple up newspaper balls they like to slide around them and and under and such , make sure humidty and temps are right. Then just leave him be for a week or so he should be much happier, and more willing to eat. Also, you shouldnt be feeding your bps more than once a week, either feed them slightly larger meals or just back off for a bit, any more than once ever 5-7 days could be considered powerfeeding and is generally frowned upon. But unfortunately I dont know about the zit on your snake =/ Hope this helped! good luck with you pets!
    Last edited by Daniel Dow; 02-23-2011 at 07:09 PM.