Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 480

2 members and 478 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

VERY active bp- is this normal?

I have an extremely active ball python... male born in '09 ... I guess I didn't realize it was weird until I got my new one and shes really sedentary and spends most of her time in her hide... my male on the other hand is slithering around his tank all the time... climbing on his branch... always getting into some sort of mischief lol!! I know they aren't really arboreal snakes but he is always perched on his branch- not coiled like a GTP but strung out on it if that makes sense... He is definitely an oddball i'd say... any comments on this?
    He is in a 20 gallon tank most of the time PS but sometimes I'll put him in the big 55 gallon one... I'm thinking of getting rid of the tanks and getting a rack but since he is SO active I feel really bad inhibiting his exploring/climbing by keeping him in a tub/container!!
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 normal

Thanks
    Need temps, humidity, pics of the setup. What's different between the 2 snakes setups?

Thanks

My Boy was doing the same thing....

My male was doing the same thing...Very active..at night and most of the morning.took him to vet yesterday.mostly because he hasnt fed since late November,and has begun to lose weight.Turns out he has a respitory infection,which will be treated with antibiotics by injection over the next month, he also was very active,watch him ,see if hes resting with his head up alot,and if he is yawning more frequently.both are signs of a respitory infection,also this time of year is mating season....so says the Doc...might be looking for a girlfriend....Good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Assuming that you have the husbandry conditions correct and that the animal is eating regularly. The active at night isn't a typical. I have 4 active snakes in my group of the 4 one is out most evenings and is very active he is quite young (a little over a year) This is one hot topic, but if everything is good with your set up and the animal is eating well and is not sick they are sometimes quite active. There is lots of evidence about climbing, in the northern part of the habitat range it is more common to find aviary prey than rodent in sub adults. Adults show a dis interest in climbing in some cases.

Thanks
    To each their own

Thanks
    Not normal, but no unheard of either. Should be nothing to worry about unless you see some changes in his physical health.

Thanks

Re: VERY active bp- is this normal?

He is 100% healthy... eats like a champ regularly... no RI. I am in the process of switching to a rack because I am having a super hard time keeping the temps up in my tanks (I have a zoomed UTH + a heat lamp for the warm side) but still the hottest it gets is like in the low 80's... I put a blanket over the top of the screen (aside from where the lamp is) to try and insulate it but it's not really helping that's why I am going to switch to tubs asap! going to the store to buy rats now.
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 normal

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    It's not really abnormal...

Assuming they've both got the exact same setup, you've most likely just got a very active male and a very lazy female. And an '09 male probably just got hit with his first real burst of hormones, and is suddenly mad to breed. Is he producing sperm plugs yet?

Give him a cardboard tube to cuddle with and tell him it's tough all around.

EDITED TO ADD: Yeah, sure, those warm side temps could use an extra 5-10 degrees. Though I doubt that's what's causing extra activity from just the male.
    Last edited by loonunit; 02-20-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks

Re: VERY active bp- is this normal?

here he is chilling on the branch... lol... he really thinks he is a GTP haha he made me mad because he didn't eat yesterday when I fed both him and my new female (she insta attacked the rat) he showed interest then backed away... Since the first time he refused food (in october) I made it a rule of thumb to not feed him until he pooped and that seemed to work (usually once every 2 weeks) ... I thought I'd try offering food this time since the last time I fed him was the 10th but he wasnt interested yesterday or today. I put him back in the feed tank with the rat and again showed no interest. Any suggestions?
    1.0 pastel
    1.0 normal

Thanks

Cool Re: VERY active bp- is this normal?

Sounds like your boy might just not want to eat.My male hasnt fed since thanksgiving,plus he has a mild RI...One thing ive learned is not to worry,these animals are notorious picky feeders.and can go long periods of time without food,keep monitoring his weight and dont force the issue.It can make things worse and just add to his distress and prolong the lack of interest.try to keep a set 7 to 10 day feeding schedule and waiting for a poop isnt the way to go.my snakes have had several feeds between poops,as with all things alive,when you got to go,you go..he will eventully feed,but when he wants to.Good luck and be patient,