Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,959

1 members and 2,958 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

What would you do with $10K?

Hey guys. Newbie here. Well, not really. I've been a BP owner for nearly a decade now, and I've been following the morph industry off and on throughout that time. However, I've never owned a morph and I've never done any breeding. That being said, I've decided to invest some cash into some morphs to breed. While researching which ones I want, I thought it might be fun to start a discussion about what you would buy if you were starting out and had $10k, along with the following goals/guidelines:

1. The investment should pay for itself within 5 years. Not looking to make this a job, but putting all money above and beyond the initial investment back into the snakes.

2. Looking towards more exotic mixes. Few or no single gene snakes here. I don't want to be producing snakes everyone and their mother is producing. Also want to avoid most recessive genes for now. I'd like to avoid hatching normal looking babies.

3. Must keep the number of snakes under 20, preferably closer to 15.

So how about it, which morphs would you go with and why? I love these snakes and the idea of producing some of the amazing morphs that are out there is extremely exciting. I'm looking forward to getting started.

I know ultimately what I buy will be a reflection of what morphs I want to end up with, but I'd like to hear what you guys would do. Me personally, I love the white snakes, so a BEL and some Lessers are definitely on my list already.

Thanks
    If you give me $10K I'm buying a couple superconda western hognoses to start a project with.

I take paypal...
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Re: What would you do with $10K?

Quote Originally Posted by jmhnc View Post
    1. The investment should pay for itself within 5 years. Not looking to make this a job, but putting all money above and beyond the initial investment back into the snakes.
    Then I suggest that you pick up a US savings bond that’s the only way you’re guaranteed to get your money back in 5 yrs.

2. Looking towards more exotic mixes. Few or no single gene snakes here. I don't want to be producing snakes everyone and their mother is producing. Also want to avoid most recessive genes for now. I'd like to avoid hatching normal looking babies.
    Less common double gene morphs even some of the more common ones can run you 3-5k each easy and with not wanting to produce normals you’re going to want a super double gene which will run you even more. With thinking about the money only recessive genes hold their value longer than most co-doms .

3. Must keep the number of snakes under 20, preferably closer to 15.
    With what you’re looking to spend and wanting to get you’re looking at closer to 2-3 snakes.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

Re: What would you do with $10K?

I understand there are no guarantees. If I have beautiful snakes, I don't really care if I don't make back 100% within 5 years. My point was that I don't want to merely be producing a bunch of $50-300 snakes.

I know that $10k won't get me into the upper levels. I'm also not comfortable spending much more than $2k on a single snake. Ideally, I'll have a few males that have 3-4 different dominant or co-dominant genes and a few females for each male that have 2-3 codom genes. Right now I'm more interested in producing really cool looking snakes. Perhaps after a breeding season or two, I'll look into some recessive genes... although I really like the look of albinos, so I might pick up a male.

Anyway, I was just trying to get opinions on snakes. If you had $10k to spend and wanted a wide variety of non-normal babies in 3 years, what would you buy?

Thanks
    I would probly go with an albino and pinstripe pied project. So I would go with a male pied and a female albino and pin. Het pied. Then a BEL male with a few lesser girls. Then if I had some left I would get a male bumble bee to through with the lesser aswell to try for lesser bees.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jon
    0.1 Hog Cross Boa
    1.0 Hypo 100% het sharp Albino
    1.0 Albino B.P.
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel B.P.
    1.1 Pied B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe B.P.
    0.1 poss het pied B.P.
    0.1 bumblebee B.P.
    0.1 Caramel Albino B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe Het Albino B.P.
    0.3 Normal B.P

Thanks
    Are you talking about 10k on just the snakes or racks incubator etc included?
    Over 60...

Thanks
    Where are you? I have the same thoughts, maybe we can partner.

Thanks
    $10k just on snakes.

mc5guy, I'm in NC, but I don't think I'd want to partner with anyone. That might put too much stress on me.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With 10000 today I would get

Tiger Male

Pastel Enchi Female

Spinner Female

Pied Female

Clown Female

Use the rest for supply and put money aside in the event of a problem.

Just remember this are animals you are dealing.

Because invest $10000 today does not mean you will make it back in 5 years.

Many things can happen, animal not eating and not being up to size,animal not wanting to breed, bad odds, slugs, price drop etc
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Tiger male
    Pastel Enchi female
    Spinner female
    Pied Female
    Clown female

These look like a good group, I would toss in several single codom females also pastels black pastels pinstripes yellow belly enchi and another male for backup. Maybe a pied or lavander.
    Over 60...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast