Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,897

1 members and 2,896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Are there really Hermaphrodite rats?

I have a small colony of rats 1.3 or so I thought. One that I thought was female has not become pregnant at all, so pulled her out again and was checking her out. Nipples are present, and it kind of looked like when a young male sucks them up so I pressed on the belly a little and I thought I was going crazy. I asked my wife to look and "It's a hermaphrodite" came out. Has anybody else heard of this or seen it?
    Last edited by chaoticstone; 12-30-2010 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks
    never heard of it, you'd be surprised how many people cant accurately sex rats though

Thanks

Re: Are there really Hermaphrodite rats?

i agree with the above post
    1.2 hog island boa
    0.4 normal BP
    1.0 mojo
    1.0 bee
    0.1 pinstripe
    0.3 pastels

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lilbit View Post
    i agree with the above post
    So my next question would be do male rats really have nipples then? I had read a few times that they didn't so that is what I looked for when picking out females and holding them up to what most likely was litter mates and choosing the ones where everything was closer. I hope I get better with sexing them the longer I have them, since I still need a few more females to meet the demands. I did pick up a red full hooded hopefully girl today, I checked and the guy at the store checked also so hopefully the odds are good lol.

Thanks
    I hate to be sarcastic...but...you check for nipples when you sex rats?

I check for giant testes hanging under their tails. LOL

Seriously, of course male rats have nipples, every guy I know has nipples. If you are having problems sexing your rats, pick them up by the tail and let them grab on to the edge of their tub or tank. Then lower their rear ends below their heads like they are "hanging" off the edge by their front paws. If it is a male the testes will "fall" out and be visable to you from underneath.

Or if you look at animals that you know are males lift them up and look at the distance between the anus and where they urinate. It will be at least twice the distance than in females.

Good Luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kellysballs View Post

Seriously, of course male rats have nipples, every guy I know has nipples. If you are having problems sexing your rats, pick them up by the tail and let them grab on to the edge of their tub or tank. Then lower their rear ends below their heads like they are "hanging" off the edge by their front paws. If it is a male the testes will "fall" out and be visable to you from underneath.

Or if you look at animals that you know are males lift them up and look at the distance between the anus and where they urinate. It will be at least twice the distance than in females.

Good Luck!
    Actually yep I do look for nipples I did another google search on it and everything is saying that male rats do not have nipples. I didn't go to the petstore and get full grown adults I got young rats. I'll try the dangling them off something though never thought about that with the young ones that suck it up does that still work? Oh and here is a link to a hairless male and yep no noticeable nipples, not to be sarcastic but wanted confirmation for myself.
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/h...irless_rat.jpg
    Maybe there is a member here that has a hairless male that can confirm if they are just so small they are not recognizable in photo though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kellysballs View Post

Good Luck!
    I'm pretty sure male rats don't have nipples.. I've never bred rats (and have only owned females) so I can't say with 100% certainty..

Also, male rats have a ridiculous ability to uhm..withhold their torpedoes? if you know what I mean. (They can pull those babies back in like its no ones business).

Thanks

Male rats and mice don't have nipples. Look at their bellies in the fuzzy stage. Whenever I feed rats or mice at that age I feed males first, and that's how I tell, instead of making a best guess by judging the space.
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Thanks
    Male rats don't have nipples, I just double checked my adult hairless boys and couldn't find any

I'd say it's possible for a rat to be a hermaphrodite, but far more likely she is infertile.

Pics of the the rats underside would be helpful
    Last edited by bad-one; 12-31-2010 at 01:12 AM.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bad-one View Post
    Male rats don't have nipples, I just double checked my adult hairless boys and couldn't find any

I'd say it's possible for a rat to be a hermaphrodite, but far more likely she is infertile or your male is shooting blanks.

Pics of the the rats underside would be helpful
    His definitely not shooting blanks his other girls have dropped 21 babies between the two. I had him in with the girl in question and another female at the same time for 3 weeks they both should have been pregnant if she was fertile correct? The other females babies are almost 2 weeks old.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast