Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,929

1 members and 2,928 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Wierd feeding issue?????

Huggie Bear has been eating f/t for the past 3 or 4 feedings.
    Well today she tried to eat one butt first and had both hind legs kicked out like wings LOL. Well after almost 20 mins she didnt make any progress on it so I got her to drop it and tried to turn it around for her but she didnt want anything to do with it. I warmed another mouse and she hit it and coiled but then left it alone. So I warmed that one back up a little more and she hit it again. I held on to my end and wiggled the mouse like it was trying to get away and at one point even picked her up by the mouse! Well now she downed it.
    My question is, has anyone else ever had to make a f/t come THAT alive to get them to eat?
    She has never had a problem, even when switching from live so I dont know if it is because I took the last one from her?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Wierd feeding issue?????

She was probably just a little freaked out or confused after the first feeding. I would have just left her completely alone to figure it out herself.

I do do the zombie-rodent dance for a couple of my snakes...and will give the tail a tug or two after they've grabbed it, to simulate live prey....but mostly I just do that on the very slight chance that they enjoy a bit of stimulation. One of my snakes hates the zombie-dance and won't touch it until I lay it down and close his tub and get out of his sight.

They're all a little different. But to my way of thinking, the best rule of thumb is that the least amount of keeper-interference is best.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    I think she wont take her second because its temp is down to 88 degrees? She shows interest in it but wont hit it. I have it under the heat lamp now to make sure. Though you may be right or she just isnt that hungry any more.
    I only took it because she has never had a problem eating and I think when she struck at that on I had it turned and it wasnt a head shot. Usually she had them down in under a minuet and is waiting on the next one. After 20 mins I was worried she would stress herself out trying to swallow it.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Wierd feeding issue?????

I think ball pythons, in particular, are quite adept at making us stress out about things that really aren't worthy of stress.

If she doesn't eat...don't fret about it. Just wait until next week and I'm sure she'll be good and hungry and ready to eat again. It won't hurt them to miss a meal.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    She ate one and is playing with the second now, I had to warm it up a bit more