Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,731

0 members and 2,731 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: ball python prices

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro_Yamaneko View Post
    I want this done right. I already even have a garbage bag full of vermiculite waiting for eggs.

No offense, but I don't believe your step-mother fully understands the risk involved. There's a lot more to breeding and making a ROI with Balls than putting them together and checking your Paypal balance a few months later.

-Lawrence

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xdeus For This Useful Post:

steveboos (09-27-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post

No offense, but I don't believe your step-mother fully understands the risk involved. There's a lot more to breeding and making a ROI with Balls than putting them together and checking your Paypal balance a few months later.
    If you read the rest of my post, I have yet to ask her about it. I'm still gathering data.

And I know that it takes a lot of work and time to get going successfully. But I'm giving it a shot. I won't get anywhere if I don't take a few risks.
    3.3 Normal BP (Loki, Taree, Baby Girl)
    1.0 Bumble bee
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.2 Pastel het. OG
    1.0 Het Albino

Thanks
    First off this is a really big undertaking and will require lots of time to care for a collection that size! I think your prices are a little low. I bought a pastel female a week ago and she cost me $350 but she is on the higher end because she is a high quality pastel. Just remember, you got new breeders starting up everyday! I only bred to fund better morphs not to make money because it just does not happen for 3 to 5 years! As long as you know the risks then I say good luck! I would be interested in some morphs when you produce them!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to seeya205 For This Useful Post:

steveboos (09-27-2010)

Thanks
    Sorry to the OP, i wasn't trying to lecture you, but from the nature of your post, it seemed as if you were really trying to seal the deal quickly and wanted to know how much money you could make off the snakes.

I am NOT the only one who thinks breeding a making profit is a HUGE undertaking with a lot of disappointments, we are all just trying to make you very aware of the exact nature of the hobby.

The biggest thing about your price list, as i said before, morphs keep going down in price every season, so be prepared to lose money on snakes just to free up space for your new hatchlings.
    6.5.15 Animals
    1.2 Pomeranian's
    0.1.15 Tropical Fish
    2.2 Snakes:
    0.1 2009 100% Het Piebald
    0.1 Normal
    1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

To the OP - while it's great that you're making this proposal, there's no guarantee that these animals will even breed, it's unlikely that breedable weight females will breed in the same year that they are moved from one location to another, even within your facility.

Most breeders who have to make a move, usually just write off that season, because they understand just how sensitive the females are to changes, and know that it can take up to a year for them to become receptive.

And then there's the bit about marketing your animals. You'll be a relative un-known in the market. You may end up having a bunch of animals that don't sell. And a higher food bill to feed those extra mouths.

It may seem like a good investment for you and your step-mom, but you're not going to make it back in 12 months, not even close.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rabernet For This Useful Post:

steveboos (09-27-2010)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro_Yamaneko View Post
    There is either something wrong with that page, or my internet is faulty, but it's just a black page...
    That's strange, the link worked for me. I'll try this way.
    I'd recommend checking out:http://www.ballpythonbreeder.com
    And clicking on the "On the Economic Viability of Ball Python Breeding" article. I'd also recommend checking out the other articles there too. They are all well written and give a glimpse into the world of a big Ball Python breeder.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's also showing up as all black for me - it flashes white, but turns all black. I've been able to view his site before, but not today.

Thanks
    The link just worked for me. Good read.

I've been in ball pythons since December and I've invested nearly $5000 in snakes, equipment, food, incubators, etc. Mind you, I only have 9 snakes now. I over paid for a few (lesson learned), and got a great deal on a few. I dont expect to make any money off this. I'd like to at least pay for the hobby once my breeding gets going. (The female I bred this last season only had one good egg out of 5 *crosses fingers for this season*.)

A lot of money can be wasted too. Like I said, I overpaid on two of mine. I could have gotten the same quality for probably $500 less on one and $200 less on another. Also, I have 2 right now that are being picky about eating and so I keep wasting frozen rats (gonna go back to live in a couple days for them to get them back eating). You also have to think of how much it costs you in time (and time = money). The feeding, the cleaning, etc. And if your girls slug out or just don't breed...yuck.

Not tryin to discourage you but we dont want you to get disappointed. You have to think of it as a hobby you're willing to throw away money on rather than expect you'll get your money back (and I say "throw away" in the nicest of ways...the money goes bye bye and doesn't come back ).
    -- Cat Haddow

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent73 View Post
    That's strange, the link worked for me. I'll try this way.
    I'd recommend checking out:http://www.ballpythonbreeder.com
    And clicking on the "On the Economic Viability of Ball Python Breeding" article. I'd also recommend checking out the other articles there too. They are all well written and give a glimpse into the world of a big Ball Python breeder.
    That site worked for me! It must have been down earlier!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast