Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,471

4 members and 2,467 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: Hog feed?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hog feed?

I remember reading that someone, and a few others, have good luck breeding ASFs on hog feed. As this would be cheaper than $4.69 for two pounds of rodent feed, I'm interested in this.

Is there somewhere online where I can get it? Or does Costco get it? I've seen they have horse pellets (but am unsure if this is feed or bedding...), so if I can pick it up locally, all the better. I'm also curious if it would be good for my mice, too. I still need smaller prey items for my corns that ASFs can't supply.

Also, going to a feed store is not something I can do. My dad works, and my mom has something going on with her stomach (she has a colonoscopy and endoscopy coming up next Wed or Tues), so even just normal shopping is hard on her. I can't expect either to feel like driving me out to Fernely or Stead where everyone has horses just to get rodent food.

Oh, I'm also curious if anyone has luck with good quality dog food. My mom bought an extra bag of dog food when we already had an extra bag, so I got one of the bags. This is it. I've been feeding it to my mice, and they seem to love it. I see them eating it more than their rodent food. Not nearly as much of it seems to be getting wasted, either.
    If you use another dog food, try to get me a link to it and I'll check it out.

Thanks

Re: Hog feed?

I feed hog feed. I find thats its better to mix 3/4 hog feed and 1/4 dog food. My Asf and rats do great on it. It can be found at a local feed store. Tractor Supply also carries it. It runs around 9-11.00 for 50lbs.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Bit old, doncha think?

I did find a feed store, but it's a small local place and way out of the way, so I dunno if they'd have good prices.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Hog feed?

Any store near you that carries Purina products should be able to order sunny acres hog feed for you $10 & change for a 50# bag
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi