Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,084

2 members and 3,082 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASF Setup

Thanks

ASF Setup

I've been breeding asf's but I've been using tanks which I HATE
    I wanted to make a rack with mortar tubs and use 1/4 inch hardware cloth.
    The tubs are 27.5x19.75x6

I was thinking of a colony of 2.10 in each tub

I have a few questions:
    1) Anyone who use these have issues with chew outs?
    2) Can they eat lab block through the 1/4 inch screen?
    3) How do you get the tubs out during cleaning time with the valves through the hardware cloth or do they come out easily (since you'll have to cut the cloth to fit the valves)

4) Weaning. I want to set up holding bins also in tubs if not 40-75 gallon tanks (i have extras). I was going to do one for males one for females and my question on that is, if you have one breeding groups babies and put them in their holding bins, can you take another breeding groups babies and add them later on? How long can you keep adding new rats because I hear that they get very very territorial once they're in a colony.

Photos of your setups?? I'm looking to produce 500-1000 of these guys a month!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: ASF Setup

look in the DIY section for rat rack how to's
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

I do have my plans on my racks I was just wondering if the asf's can go in them too. They're just the standard cement tubs in a 7 high rack but with 1/4 inch mesh. I'll look at that section too though

Thanks

7 high is really tall for rack height. Also, I would not use a standard cement tub, but the litter pans like Deborah (mod) uses for her mice rack. They are shallower and will allow the animals better reach to the food on the hardware cloth.

The tub rails wont come to the end of the rack, so once you hit the last few inches, it will drop down, (and if you did your measuring right) won't hit the nozzle.

Also, 1.10 will likely not be the best set up. I would go for trying a 1.3 for starters, see where that gets you. These rats can produce a lot, and, given enough room, can make a 1.10 work, but not very well in a small rack environment. Overcrowding leads to animal death, mostly through fighting.
    Last edited by littleindiangirl; 08-15-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks

Connie knows her asf stuff, I'd take that advice.

You don't want to give those little boogers anything they can get a tooth into. Because they will chew. I agree that tanks suck, but they're the only thing I trust my soft furs in. I build toppers for the tanks that food and water bottle slip into, and they're pretty easy to keep going.

My growout tanks.

Two galvanized 2x4x2 stock tanks with watering system drilled in, and large metal hoppers for food attached to the insides. The bottom one slides under the top for less space used. Works perfectly for growing these guys out en masse. Fresh weans go into a 40 gallon glass tank to get a little size and learn to live independently, and when they're old enough I sex them and drop them into the growouts. You can see some of my breeder tanks in the background, I have them in a large rack system.
    `*`

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I used to breed ASF and kept them in tubs (in my case jumbo cat litter pans)

I used this rack http://stewartreptiles.com/Articles/...eding_Rack.pdf (which can be found in the DIY section along with a small mice rack) however I replace the 1/2 hardware cloth by 1/4

I ran 1.5 in each tubs

Never had any chewing issues, if that is concerns for you I would recommend placing a piece of wood in each tub.

They can eat through the 1/4 hardware cloth just fine too.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

I just took a quick little video with my phone of my rails to show you how they don't effect the water nozzles. This video hasn't published yet so quality is the best but you get the idea

YouTube - Asf rack

Thanks

That's a party rack, Eric! Little bit of mood lighting for them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    That's a party rack, Eric! Little bit of mood lighting for them.
    Well ya know connie, I got my asf's from you and they are pretty heavy drinkers so every saturday nite they get a little rowdy

Thanks
    I love the metal tub idea! I think I'm going to go with those for holding bins. Could I put a hole through the side and throw in some watering sippers?

Very great idea. How many can you wind up keeping in each bin at a time and do you have a problem adding a new litter of males to a tub of older males (same goes for the female tub) as long as they're not very tiny?

Or do fights break out in existing groups only if you have both sexes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast