Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,655

0 members and 2,655 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Crickets vs. Mealworms

Hey Guys,
    So I have an adult normal male gecko who I always fed crickets... gut loaded and dusted, This summer I got a baby morph female who was on meal worms only. So turns out my adult male likes meal worms too... He likes food alot...fat lil guy. Anyway crickets really did annoy me any way because they often escaped the cricket keeper and were also difficult to keep alive, although when one would get out it was always funny to watch the cat chase it. Meal worms seem easier to keep alive and I have even recently started a colony. So whats the opinions on crickets vs meal worms and how many meal worms/ crickets do adults juvs and babys need and how often? ( I worry I over feed and hes fat)

Thanks
    You should not feed too many mealworms too often because they have a higher shell to meat ratio, meaning, they are more hard stuff than actual protein filled food. Roaches are the best out of the insect feeders, along with phoenix worms.

When younger animals are fed too many mealworms it can lead to impaction and death.

Thanks
    Mealworms are just fine as a staple, and I have done it that way for years, but only recently I have gone exclusively with roaches. The reason for the switch is I raise them in house by the tons and don't have to rely on anyone else's availability. Every now and then I will purchase more to expand extra colonies (never can have enough), but thats it. I say it really comes down to what you can get most readily. As mentioned by AkHerps there have been cases of mealies causing impaction, but I have yet to have it happen in my collecion(knock on wood). I do believe every feeder has a down side just weigh the pros and cons to see what is best suited for your needs.
    Mini monitors, other select herps, and aquatics.

Thanks
    Hey thanks for the opinions. I think Ill do a combo. I also recently read some roach postings and am also looking into them.

Thanks
    I agree with what Ga_herps states. I have a large colony of mealworms as well and at one time they were a staple. I now offer a variety to all my lizards, but feed mealworms more because I have way more.

I believe the issue with the chitin is poor husbandry. I'd imagine if your temps are not right, then they may have a hard time digesting the shell. I know two breeders that exclusively start their baby leos on mealworms.

If you read other forums though, they will say your gecko is going to die. That's one big reason why I removed myself from those other lizard forums. I understand that they want the best for every gecko, but when you have a gecko that won't eat crickets and other options are not long-term viable (read expensive) then you do what you have to do.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks
    I heard phoenix worms are great too.

Thanks
    I`v a colony of roaches on the go as there main diet but still feed my Gecko`s Meal Worms, Locust, Moro and for a treat Wax Worms every now and then.

Breading the roaches is the way to go
    Last edited by Cor8et; 10-27-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks

Re: Crickets vs. Mealworms

I have always fed my leos mainly on meal worms I occasionally feed crickets but mainly just because it is fun to watch them "hunt" the crickets. The only real problem I ever had with mealworms is that sometimes hatchlings don't eat them because they don't move a whole lot but I used mini mealworms they are just a different species of mealworms that stay really small and are really active. they are a little harder to keep alive but I only used them to get hatchlings used to eating worms out of a dish then switched to regular mealworms. As far as amounts of mealworms to feed I usally tried to offer 10 mealworms (size of worm depending on size of gecko) every other day

Thanks
    I was doing crickets, then went to mealworms and superworms, but have recently switched to mouse pinkies and they seem healthier then ever....they have developed quite a feeding response but im used to tegus so i just think its funny when the leos think theyr tuff

Thanks
    I use mealworms for my leos, with occasional superworms and waxworms, and sometimes crickets.
    10 every other day is a good amount to feed leos.

I usually throw in some carrots to gutload the worms. Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Ride the snake, ride the snake/ To the lake, the ancient lake, baby/ The snake is long, seven miles/ Ride the snake...he's old, and his skin is cold... (The End, The Doors)
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    Ball python 1.1 Leopard Gecko 1 Crested Gecko 1 African Side Neck Turtle 0.1 Giant Plated Lizard 1 Ribbon Snake 0.0.1 Corn Snake 0.0.1 Tiger Salamander 0.0.1 Metallic Pinktoe Tarantula 0.1 Black Lab/Pit Bull mix 1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast