Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,823

3 members and 2,820 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Self harming behavior in leopard gecko

I have a female enigma leopard gecko who has started exhibiting some very disturbing behaviors this week. She has the enigma issues (circling and bad aim when feeding) but she also has this VERY obvious divot in her skull, right at the top of her cranium (she came to me like this).

She as recently begun to bite her tail and back legs by circling around like a C and just nomming away. Her tail already shows some damage and I'm worried she's going to damage herself or give herself an infection. she's been getting less interested in food but will still eat. When she comes out of this behavior she almost seems kind of disoriented.

The only thing I can come up with is brain damage or seizure behavior. Has anyone heard of anything like this? If I can't solve this issue I think the kindest thing would be to put her down.. I can't watch her 24/7 to make sure she's not chewing on herself.

She weighed 22 grams at last weigh in. hot spot is 91F. Shes fed dusted dubias and meal worms 2x or 3x a week. She now has a water dish in. Her substrate is papertowel and her hide is plastic.

I am not happy that I have to come here for an issue with another animal, but if the info this thread provides can help me or someone else that is all that matters.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 11-22-2010 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    I have seen another case of self mutilation in leopard geckos and it was due to a wound being irritated (he kept opening up the wound and wouldn't let it heal). I am not sure what happened to said gecko, though

Has she had trouble shedding? Is there anything that may be irritating or skin or stressing her out? I know my enigmas get a little neurotic when stressed but I've never had one self mutilate before. Perhaps try darkening her enclosure (if it isn't already dark).

I would bump up the heat to 95 - 97F, you may see an increase in appetite.

I wish you the best with her

Thanks

Re: Self harming behavior in leopard gecko

Quote Originally Posted by coldblooded View Post
    I have seen another case of self mutilation in leopard geckos and it was due to a wound being irritated (he kept opening up the wound and wouldn't let it heal). I am not sure what happened to said gecko, though

Has she had trouble shedding? Is there anything that may be irritating or skin or stressing her out? I know my enigmas get a little neurotic when stressed but I've never had one self mutilate before. Perhaps try darkening her enclosure (if it isn't already dark).

I would bump up the heat to 95 - 97F, you may see an increase in appetite.

I wish you the best with her
    If she has shed, i can't tell (no flakes around, not on her toes or anything) but i thought i saw her getting dull maybe 10 days ago. Her enclosure is very dark and very calm. What would you say would be the best method to removing any offending shed?

I checked her over for mites or any bugs twice (crazy close up, this was my first thought).

I'll move her up to the top of the rack where its warmer.

Would giving her a soak in warm water possibly help?

Thank you for your advice
    Last edited by cinderbird; 11-22-2010 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks

Yep a good soak may help. I have never seen a leo self mutilate so I dont have much to offer the enigma I had was just a little special he would circle occasionally but nothing like your describing sorry I cant be of more help. I hope the little one pulls through for you.
    Currently have
    2.3 pastel's
    0.1 spider
    0.1 normal
    1.1 100% het albino's
    1.0 Albino ( he will live at work but i get to take care of him)
    1.0 Cinnamon
    1.0 Fire

Thanks
    I would definitely try a soak and see if that helps. Hopefully she stops doing it!

I have seen someone make a "satellite hood" for a leo with a business card and some tape... hopefully it won't come to that.

Thanks

I just took her out to soak her, and i'm pretty sure she just had a seizure in my hands. She stiffined up completely, curled, back concave, mouth open, tail twitching. She has always been fine with handling its never been a stresser for her.

Shes having these full body flailing episodes followed by complete skeletal rigor, open mouth, closed eyes and twitching tail.

I will be making a call to Dr. Stall's office in the morning (exotic vet down in VA). But i don't think I can help her, i don't think anyone can..

I understand euthanisa methods for snakes, i have no idea how to humanely put a gecko down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    I just took her out to soak her, and i'm pretty sure she just had a seizure in my hands. She stiffined up completely, curled, back concave, mouth open, tail twitching. She has always been fine with handling its never been a stresser for her.

Shes having these full body flailing episodes followed by complete skeletal rigor, open mouth, closed eyes and twitching tail.

I will be making a call to Dr. Stall's office in the morning (exotic vet down in VA). But i don't think I can help her, i don't think anyone can..

I understand euthanisa methods for snakes, i have no idea how to humanely put a gecko down.
    Oh, no.. I am so sorry. She definitely sounds like she is in some serious distress.

When I have had to put a gecko down that was in a bad way, I cooled her for several hours in the fridge (in a sealed ziplock bag) before putting her in the freezer. Before I put her in the freezer she was completely unresponsive and appeared to be in a deep sleep (cold coma?)..

I'm so sorry, again. That must be have been painful see ..
    Last edited by coldblooded; 11-22-2010 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks

Oh, no.. I am so sorry. She definitely sounds like she is in some serious distress.

When I have had to put a gecko down that was in a bad way, I cooled her for several hours in the fridge (in a sealed ziplock bag) before putting her in the freezer. Before I put her in the freezer she was completely unresponsive and appeared to be in a deep sleep (cold coma?)..

I'm so sorry, again. That must be have been painful see ..
    This is progressively seeming to get worse.

I'll call Dr. Stalls office in the morning, if she makes it that long i suppose. But I think I'm going to use a CO2 chamber, there is a store near my work that sells dry ice. I just can't fathom putting her in the fridge thats next to my computer and just sitting there even though I thought about it.

This just doesn't seem like a recoverable issue. She was always kind of small and runtly I think she was just one of the ones who weren't meant to make it and I happened to be the one to own her.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    This is progressively seeming to get worse.

I'll call Dr. Stalls office in the morning, if she makes it that long i suppose. But I think I'm going to use a CO2 chamber, there is a store near my work that sells dry ice. I just can't fathom putting her in the fridge thats next to my computer and just sitting there even though I thought about it.

This just doesn't seem like a recoverable issue. She was always kind of small and runtly I think she was just one of the ones who weren't meant to make it and I happened to be the one to own her.
    I have used a CO2 chamber before. It seems to take a while with reptiles I have no idea if they are in pain or not during, but it was too hard for me to watch them gasp for air.

Some of them just don't thrive, it is definitely hard. You have my condolences

Thanks

I have used a CO2 chamber before. It seems to take a while with reptiles I have no idea if they are in pain or not during, but it was too hard for me to watch them gasp for air.

Some of them just don't thrive, it is definitely hard. You have my condolences
    i checked on her this morning and it seemed like she was in the middle of another seizure episode.. When i disturbed her she went into a full fledged seizure episode. She seems like she is distressed when this happens. (Shes an eclipse eye so i can't see where her eyes are looking though). But its not pretty to watch. I may take a video later for educational purposes.

If she is still with me when I get home, I think I'm going to end her suffering.. Its not fair to her.

Coldblooded, based on what you have said I think the cold coma and the freezer may be the kindest option.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast