Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,285

3 members and 1,282 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Balls in the wild

I'm assuming many of the morphs we see today aren't found in the wild but are a result of captive breeding and mixing different morphs. I'm curious as to what morphs are actually found in the wild besides normal ball pythons.

I have a spider ball python and I have no idea about genetics but I'm curious as to if spider balls are found in the wild or are a result of breeders playing around with different morphs. If someone could give me an example of what wild ball python morphs that are typically found around Africa that would be very interesting!

Thanks

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Balls in the wild

Every single base morph was originally found in the wild.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk
    Knowledge is earned not learned.

Thanks
    in the wild, visual morphs are really very rare, but every now and then one pops up. these are typically sold for extremely high prices directly to the breeder that can pay the most.

and most of the base morphs have been found in the wild. some morphs also randomly show up when breeding, but thats really rare, almost all morphs can be traced back to africa.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Pythonfriend is right. I've seen videos where Brian from BHB is talking about the original lesser that was imported from the wild, and of course his original sunset ball was imported for $70,000. Most base morphs were imported, though some did pop up in captivity. The blackhead is one morph I can think of off that originated as a dinker project.
    "Your absence has gone through me like thread through a needle. Everything I do is stitched with its color."

-W.S. Merwin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by andythespider View Post
    I'm assuming many of the morphs we see today aren't found in the wild but are a result of captive breeding and mixing different morphs. I'm curious as to what morphs are actually found in the wild besides normal ball pythons.
    All single gened/base morphed animals were from the wild.

I have a spider ball python and I have no idea about genetics but I'm curious as to if spider balls are found in the wild or are a result of breeders playing around with different morphs. If someone could give me an example of what wild ball python morphs that are typically found around Africa that would be very interesting!

Thanks
    The first spider ever was a wild caught import. All spiders today are descendants of that imported wild caught spider. To my knowledge, no other spider has ever been seen in the wild.

The only things that are a result of 'breeders playing around' are multi-gened animals.
    Last edited by satomi325; 04-12-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks
    other morphs where i heared that they were imported from africa would be banana, coral glow, hypo, albino, spider, pastel, calico, piebald, and pinstripe. some of them several times by different people, like the different lines of hypo and pastel.

and what also popped up in captivity would be the goldblush thing, first in the form of goldblush mojave but now i think it has been isolated.

and lets not forget this one, but its still unproven, it also happened randomly when breeding:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ing-of-Dinkers
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The origins of the goldblush gene is completely unknown. The original female was purchased off of craigslist by Brian Gundy and was paired with a mojave. Blackhead was imported from africa all you have to do is go do some reading on ralph davis' site to see that. Dinker is a term used for an unproven mutation either from the wild or from a random occurrence from a pairing. There are then breedings to prove the genetics and if proven will then be a morph if not proven then it was random and not genetic. Every single proven morph was once a dinker that was caught in africa.

Thanks
    Seconding Pythonfriend's point, although there are heaps of morphs that spring up from the wild population saying that they all come from the wild isn't completely correct... still, most of them definitely come out of Africa.
    The Ball Pythons
    0.1 2002 normal "Noodle", 1.0 2011 albino "Mosh", 0.1 2011 pinstripe "Pepper", 1.0 2009 lesser "Cato, 0.1 2010 spider "Phoebe", 1.0 2011 pastel 50% het. hypo "Toad", 0.1 2012 black pewter "Pomona", 0.1 2013 kingpin "Marvel", 0.0.7 lesserxspider eggs

The Others
    0.1 2013 p. baroni "Hyacinth", 0.1 2013 CB g. oxycephala "Laurasia", 1.0 2013 T+ albino p. brongersmai "Reinhardt", 1.0 2012 CH g. oxycephala "Gondwana"

The Dearly Departed
    0.1 2012-2013 hypo black pastel "Dexter"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MisterKyte View Post
    Seconding Pythonfriend's point, although there are heaps of morphs that spring up from the wild population saying that they all come from the wild isn't completely correct... still, most of them definitely come out of Africa.
    Please let me know of one proven morph that did not come from the wild.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T&C Exotics View Post
    The origins of the goldblush gene is completely unknown. The original female was purchased off of craigslist by Brian Gundy and was paired with a mojave. Blackhead was imported from africa all you have to do is go do some reading on ralph davis' site to see that. Dinker is a term used for an unproven mutation either from the wild or from a random occurrence from a pairing. There are then breedings to prove the genetics and if proven will then be a morph if not proven then it was random and not genetic. Every single proven morph was once a dinker that was caught in africa.
    well, then i guess that will change if that king of dinkers proves out

but with tens of millions of wild BPs, and tens of thousands of captive hatched / farm bred hatchlings that are exported, its not surprising that most (or all?) morphs are coming from the wild and/or the large breeding farms.

BTW, i remembered this old video, it shows a whole lot of semi-wild BPs in Benin, starting at 7:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6EmX7dYLg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast