Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,995

0 members and 2,995 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Electrical problems with my Helix thermostat/Flexwatt

I am having a bear of an issue, and was wondering if you could help. I have always used my Helix proportional t-stat with FWatt; all the way from my 9tub rack, to my now one-tub setup.

It has stopped working. I came home last week to a cold FW. the probe was in place right between the tub and FW, as normal. The thermostat had the right degree on it. And there was a faint buzzing sound emitting from the whole thing. I immediately unplugged it.. I am actually scared to plug it in, and am using a backup UTH/rheo; not ideal.

What on earth??! I did notice a small area of the cord (that goes into the wall) is exposed. My mom's cat might have chewed it; maybe the bed rolled over it when I moved things. Not sure; do you have any idea what is going on?

There's just the one piece of Flexwatt now, since I only have one tub/snake. It is on a metal "utility" shelf; could this matter? Luckily the room was pretty warm that day (around 75 degrees) and my snake has no ill effects.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Re: Electrical problems with my Helix thermostat/Flexwatt

Sounds like you have a broken one. Buy a new one. Nothing else sounds like a problem.
    I suggest using whatever works right now, buying a new one, and then plug everything back in.

It sucks, but things break sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Maybe the metal clips on the flexwatt came into contact with the metal shelf causing a short and frying the t-stat?
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

dunno, I work on electric motors and such for a living... If you had an ohm meterk even a volt meter I could probably help you trouble shoot it.... but thats not something that most people have laying around as my digital meter for work cost me like 400 bucks but from what you are saying the buzzing noise coming from the box, I serously doubt that the cord has anything to do with it probably interna;. Was the thermostat plugged into a line with a GFI?
    Last edited by jjmitchell; 05-08-2010 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks

It was not. I feel bad about it now, and I am pretty bummed because this tstat was expensive. Time to buy a new one, I guess. I will see if my husband has an ohm meter in his tools though; he might, or his friend might.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Under no circumstances should you buy a new one. Send this one back to Jeff at Helix Controls. Give Jeff a call and let him know you are sending it. He can fix it for much less than the cost of a new one. Look him up at www.helixcontrols.com .

I can't tell what is wrong from your description, but I think the rheostat will work fine until you can get it repaired.

Hope that helps,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

hoax (05-11-2010),twh (05-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

I had huge issue with my flexwatt not long ago. My tubs had wore down the flexwatt and I was getting shocked when I touched it! It was making that buzzing noise then too. I took it all off and replaced everything. Just the other day I heard buzzing on one shelf. I have no idea why it was buzzing. It was definitely the flexwatt. I thought maybe something was too tight, moved some things around, and it still buzzed a bit. The next day it wasn't buzzing anymore and it's been almost a month now and it hasn't buzzed since and is working fine

Maybe someone knows why the flexwatt buzzes?

I would also think that keeping it on a metal shelf might not be the best option. I would at least put a layer of plastic or some sort of insulator between the flexwatt and the metal shelf.
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 05-09-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts

I had the same problem but it's not the Helix. I originally used the Helix on a rack and I would hear that buzz. I contacted who I bought it from and I was told it has something to do with the electrical current in my house. He said it happens rarely and I was the second or third person that had the problem. I hooked up a ranco up to the rack and it worked fine. I still use the helix but only on my incubators. Seems to work fine just not on the rack with the flexwatt.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Green View Post
    I had the same problem but it's not the Helix. I originally used the Helix on a rack and I would hear that buzz. I contacted who I bought it from and I was told it has something to do with the electrical current in my house. He said it happens rarely and I was the second or third person that had the problem. I hooked up a ranco up to the rack and it worked fine. I still use the helix but only on my incubators. Seems to work fine just not on the rack with the flexwatt.
    That is weird. I wondered if the amount of volts/amps running through mattered. Our house's electrical stuff needs to be upgraded, we aren't grounded and you can see the lights dim/brighten if a bunch of stuff is turned on or off.

Thanks

Sounds like you may have blown a fuse. I don't know about the helix t-stat but I do know that the Helix Basic, Super and DBS1000's all have internal fuses that sometimes go. In my experience if one system goes and you take it apart it's the fuse. New fuses cost around $1.50 to replace.

If you are ready to throw it out the it won't hurt to take it apart and check the fuse.

Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast