Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

3 members and 2,910 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is it safe to allow a ball python to wrap around your neck? Rest on your shoulder

Come on folks. Just quit wearing that Eau du Mouse cologne when you put your BP on your shoulders.
    BarreS

In a life-or-death situation, where seconds count, remember that the police are only minutes away!

Thanks

Re: Is it safe to allow a ball python to wrap around your neck? Rest on your shoulder

Wow. This is a pretty controversial thread. :3

My mojave is my bigger snake, and I'll let him up on my shoulders from time to time, but I always remain cautious about where he's at in relation to being wrapped around my neck. If it's an aggresive snake, I say heck no, leave it in your lap or on your wrist. If the snake is pretty docile and doesn't spook easily then once in a while is okay.

I'd never ever let anything bigger than a ball python up on my shoulders, though. The chances of strangulation are slim, but they're there. And I have weak little girl arms, so there's no chance of me being able to pry a snake off of myself. I'd be a goner

I guess it all depends on the owner's comfort zone, and the temperment and size of the snake.
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 SD Retic

There's no such thing as an ugly ball python!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm trying to figure out what the POINT of this argument is in the first place? If a person feels it is too risky or dangerous to drape a ball python over their shoulders...then don't do it. How can anyone PROVE something when it's all a matter of opinion? Every single one of us makes risk assessments every single day and chooses which risks we are willing to accept and which we will avoid.

FACT: There are NO recorded instances of a ball python killing an adult human being...ever! (In fact, I don't believe there are any recorded instances of a ball python ever killing a human of ANY age, but I'm sure if I stated that categorically, someone would drag up an urban-legend article to "prove" otherwise)

FACT: People HAVE died (and do so every year) by choking on some item of food they have eaten and been unable to dislodge.

Therefore, no matter how you try to do the math, the statistics regarding strangulation (BY BALL PYTHON) versus choking on food are going to be ZERO to some positive number that is bigger than zero. (That number just depends on which set of statistics you are looking at)

To get all bent out of shape over the infinitesimal risk of strangulation by ball python just makes no sense to me whatsoever. Just don't do it if it bothers you that much.
    -- Judy

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-18-2011),Anya (05-18-2011),CarpetPython (11-07-2016),TessadasExotics (04-16-2010)

Thanks

Everyone's going on about strangulation this strangulation that.

I can say this, THAT'S NOT WHY I DON'T DO IT.
    I don't do it for multiple reasons other than that.

1. You can't see what the snake is doing or where it is going, and it's hard to control it.
    2. If the snake slips and falls, it could severely injure itself.
    3. Ground snakes, like ball pythons, will get afraid when they are forced to hold on at a height. When you have a stressed out snake, your chances of being bitten increase significantly. I've heard many stories of people getting bitten ON THE FACE because the snake got scared on their shoulders.
    4. Technically, even a squeeze from a ball python can cause your blood capillaries to expand which could make you pass out, even if it wasn't that tight.

The chance of being bitten or hurting the animal is too much for me. I don't risk it. The ONLY thing I do that gets near my neck with snakes is I will use one shoulder to help me support a bigger animal, but I never let them wrap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barres View Post
    Come on folks. Just quit wearing that Eau du Mouse cologne when you put your BP on your shoulders.
    Are you trying to say I'm not supposed to naturally smell like rats?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flynn For This Useful Post:

Anya (05-18-2011)

Thanks

Who's geting all bent out of shape? lol
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Also a Cincinnati man was strangled to death by his 13' boa in 2006. So never say never.

I never said that a ball python would constrict you and kill you! I did say that one could if it tried too. I also know that there has never been a recorded instance of a ball python killing an adult male human.
    That actually looks more like a 10+ foot Boa. Also, the Cincinnati death was reported as a Boa, but it turned out to be a Burmese.

Anyway, here is a pic of my BCI with my son. The snake was about 6' at the time, so he's larger now but certainly nothing like the one in your pic. Boas getting that size are definitely the exception rather than the rule.

I'm not saying a large snake shouldn't be handled with care, but I certainly wouldn't be concerned about a Ball Python being a danger. And a Ball Python might be able to kill a person... if one was suicidal and didn't do anything to stop it from constricting. Even then, I have my doubts.

-Lawrence

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xdeus For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Who's geting all bent out of shape? lol
    Might just be my mood....I really shouldn't participate when I'm in a bad mood. Not a good filter for reading what other people are writing on the Internet.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    my hand can squeeze a rat to death faster than grown bp squeeze the same size rat.u know what i mean right??
    PLEASE CLICK HERE

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychophobia For This Useful Post:

Anya (05-18-2011),CarpetPython (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Depending on the snake, I trust them enough for this.

My 4 year old son loves them, and I think as long as the snake isn't showing abnormal signs of aggression there is little to no risk. I wouldn't be worried with ball pythons, I'd be more worried with the larger species of snakes. I'd have no problem with my son handling a full grown ball python (with my supervision of course).

For the record, my son only does this for short periods of time for the snakes safety, not necessarily my son's. I have kept a ball python around my neck outside, in my car, running errands etc successfully. I just wear a necklace so they have something to hold on to.
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 05-18-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Enirei (11-28-2016),JamieH (05-18-2011)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast