Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,683

1 members and 2,682 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is it safe to allow a ball python to wrap around your neck? Rest on your shoulder

A Ball Python killing an adult. That's hilarious!!

If we're going to look at theoreticals, I suppose a corn snake, gopher snake or milk snake could probably kill an adult as well. Just wrap them around your neck, get them really stressed, and try not to move.

-Lawrence

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdeus For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016),flynn (04-16-2010)

Thanks

Re: Is it safe to allow a ball python to wrap around your neck? Rest on your shoulder

I would not consider it too dangerous to put a ball python around an adults neck. I doubt very seriously that a ball python would ever constrict an adult to death. Ever. We are not food or even remotely close to being considered food size.
    But I do think it possible.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TessadasExotics For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016),ninerballs (07-15-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    6. Suffocation
    Deaths per year: 3,300

Call this one the "Heimlich" section, as these deaths mostly resulted from blockages of the respiratory system by food or other objects.
    http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/topte...dentsfull.html

Average Human Deaths per Year from captive constrictor snakes.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...dBR8e6jikjjYVw
    this is a misleading statistic--you have to take into account how much time people spend eating vs. with lethal constricting snakes. Everyone eats everyday, chewing and swallowing dozens or more times... If everyone spent as much time with boas and full grown burmese, the stats would be different.

I agree with you that it's not dangerous to keep a BP on your neck, but for different reasons.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WesleyTF For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyTF View Post
    this is a misleading statistic--you have to take into account how much time people spend eating vs. with lethal constricting snakes. Everyone eats everyday, chewing and swallowing dozens or more times... If everyone spent as much time with boas and full grown burmese, the stats would be different.

I agree with you that it's not dangerous to keep a BP on your neck, but for different reasons.
    Yeah but honestly, do you spend all your time with your snake around your neck? If you just do it from time to time, then the statistic still works.
    ~Steffe

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    A Ball Python killing an adult. That's hilarious!!

If we're going to look at theoreticals, I suppose a corn snake, gopher snake or milk snake could probably kill an adult as well. Just wrap them around your neck, get them really stressed, and try not to move.
    Ha! have you ever had a 5 foot python or boa wrap you up? Theoretical, yea ok.

Just saying.
    Lotsa Balls and more

Thanks

Thanks for the advice so far.

Thanks

Could it, maybe? The point is, who would let it squeeze to the point of passing out...
    Its like one time, this guy calls our store and is like "My cal king swallowed my friend's finger, what should I do?" I couldn't help but think... how did you let a 3 foot cal king go all the way down your finger?? They aren't that strong or fast. Same thing with constricting... just pull it off if it starts squeezing too hard, I've done it with 6 foot boas for cryin out loud.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Ha! have you ever had a 5 foot python or boa wrap you up? Theoretical, yea ok.

Just saying.
    Many times. I have no problem putting my 8' BCI around my shoulders and he is MUCH faster and MUCH stronger than any BP could ever be. I also know that there has never been even one reported instance of a Boa Constrictor killing an adult, much less a BP. I suppose a chihuahua could potentially kill a person too if you let it chew on your jugular, but it's not even worth worrying about it.

A five foot snake really isn't that big. It wouldn't take much effort to pull him off if he were to constrict like he meant it.

-Lawrence

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdeus For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016),Scooda954 (10-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post
    Many times. I have no problem putting my 8' BCI around my shoulders and he is MUCH faster and MUCH stronger than any BP could ever be. I also know that there has never been even one reported instance of a Boa Constrictor killing an adult, much less a BP. I suppose a chihuahua could potentially kill a person too if you let it chew on your jugular, but it's not even worth worrying about it.

A five foot snake really isn't that big. It wouldn't take much effort to pull him off if he were to constrict like he meant it.

Come on! Here is an 8' boa. You are trying to tell me that if he warped you up you would have no problem taking him off? Just how big are you? Doubtful that you are that big.
    (This is not my picture.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10905173@N07/3148631783
    Give me a break.

how about this one. could you get this red tail off you?

http://www.mccarthyboas.com/images/B...LBS_11Feet.jpg

again not my pic!

Also a Cincinnati man was strangled to death by his 13' boa in 2006. So never say never.

I never said that a ball python would constrict you and kill you! I did say that one could if it tried too. I also know that there has never been a recorded instance of a ball python killing an adult male human.
    Last edited by dr del; 04-16-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: hotlinking I'm afraid but a link to it is fine ;-)
    Lotsa Balls and more

15. The Following User Says Thank You to TessadasExotics For This Useful Post:

ninerballs (07-15-2011)

Thanks

But thats over three times as much PSI, as per your previous post

Again just joshing with you, I realize the point your making. Would that red tail be more dangerous than a BP? Obivously. But comparing apples to apples, I still dont belive there is any threat from a BP, to an adult human. Which is what the OP was about.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to flynn For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast