Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,170

1 members and 2,169 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: Is it safe to allow a ball python to wrap around your neck? Rest on your shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    But the odds of something like that happening are so incredibly slim as to hardly be worth considering at all. You have a much higher risk of choking to death on a bite of steak...so maybe we should never eat when we're alone? And we should avoid stairs at all times because of the risk of tripping and falling down them. And never...ever...get into a car, those things are death-traps on wheels!
    Exactly :/

Just because it COULD happen doesn't mean it is always going to. If everyone stopped doing things that were dangerous well, no one would be doing anything at all!
    ~Steffe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016)

Thanks

Re: Is it safe to allow a ball python to wrap around your neck? Rest on your shoulder

Small constrictors approximately 3 ft long and 1.5 inches thick can squeeze with pressures up to 4 PSI

A 4 or 5 foot ball python is much larger than 1.5 inches.
    Read more: http://ngccommunity.nationalgeograph...#ixzz0lHWskHiw

Also an 18 foot python applies 12 psi and a 5 foot 6psi.

That's per square inch. My neck is about 17 inches If a ball python where to wrap around my neck with 2 coils and lets just say it only has 4psi of strength. At only 34 square inches (if the snake was only 1 inch around in diameter) that would be the same as 136 pounds of pressure. 136 Pounds of Pressure! Tell me just how easy that would be to remove?

Ok well maybe BG or Boanerges could possibly get it off with little to no difficulty. lol j/k even they would have troubles i bet. Especially if one were to panic which I am sure most would.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TessadasExotics For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (05-18-2011),ninerballs (07-15-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post

Just because it COULD happen doesn't mean it is always going to. If everyone stopped doing things that were dangerous well, no one would be doing anything at all!
    Never once did I ever say it would happen. I Doubt that it ever would, as a constrictor normally only constricts like that to kill. They usually only kill or try to kill what they think they can consume. I am sure that a ball python knows with out a doubt that it can not consume a human. I have and will put ball pythons on or around my neck. I am merely pointing out that a Ball Python has the ability to constrict and kill a grown man. For some one to doubt that is just silly.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TessadasExotics For This Useful Post:

darkbloodwyvern (05-19-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post

But the odds of something like that happening are so incredibly slim as to hardly be worth considering at all. You have a much higher risk of choking to death on a bite of steak...

I have a hard time believing that. Do you know of any actual studies to support this statement?

Thanks

Let me rephrase what I said then.

A ball python is surely capable of strangling an adult human, but only with a full force constrict to kill. A ball python is unlikely to constrict to kill an adult human unless threatened greatly.

Just don't piss off your snake and put it around your neck. Problem solved!

Or even better, just don't put your snake around your neck.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post

So you admit that putting a fully grown ball python around your neck is dangerous. This is in stark contrast to what you said earlier in this post. It's nice to see you are finally being honest with yourswelf.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    Small constrictors approximately 3 ft long and 1.5 inches thick can squeeze with pressures up to 4 PSI

A 4 or 5 foot ball python is much larger than 1.5 inches.
    Read more: http://ngccommunity.nationalgeograph...#ixzz0lHWskHiw

Also an 18 foot python applies 12 psi and a 5 foot 6psi.

That's per square inch. My neck is about 17 inches If a ball python where to wrap around my neck with 2 coils and lets just say it only has 4psi of strength. At only 34 square inches (if the snake was only 1 inch around in diameter) that would be the same as 136 pounds of pressure. 136 Pounds of Pressure! Tell me just how easy that would be to remove?
    Interesting information, thanks for that. I would doubt the number is accumulative as is speculated, but I do realize the point your making.

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    By this logic a corn/king snake is also capable of killing, right?
    Last edited by flynn; 04-16-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EvesFriend View Post
    I have a hard time believing that. Do you know of any actual studies to support this statement?
    6. Suffocation
    Deaths per year: 3,300

Call this one the "Heimlich" section, as these deaths mostly resulted from blockages of the respiratory system by food or other objects.
    http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/topte...dentsfull.html

Average Human Deaths per Year from captive constrictor snakes.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...dBR8e6jikjjYVw
    ~Steffe

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016),Skittles1101 (05-18-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EvesFriend View Post
    So you admit that putting a fully grown ball python around your neck is dangerous. This is in stark contrast to what you said earlier in this post. It's nice to see you are finally being honest with yourswelf.
    In my first post I flat out said that you just SHOULDN'T do it. I don't do it but that doesn't mean I think it is dangerous. I still don't think it is dangerous.

What are you talking about????
    ~Steffe

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Perhaps 130+PSI over the entire snake, but you're not trying to remove the snake from all sides at one time. Furthermore, the amount of pressure that they're able to apply diminishes significantly as you move away from the muscled mid-section. You grab onto a piece of it--tail, head, whatever you can get--and yank it off. Maybe it's possible if someone panics they can't figure out what to do in time, but I highly doubt that someone in full mental capacity could be subdued by a BP.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WesleyTF For This Useful Post:

CarpetPython (11-07-2016)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast