Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,079

1 members and 3,078 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Xanax

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Xanax

I have been going thru alot lately and have been getting bad panic attacks. I got prescribed .5 mg Xanax. They gave me a 60ct bottle with 2 refills. The dr said to take 2 of them a day.

From what I've read people like me with a anxiety/panic disorder are taking 4mg up to 10mg a day. I have taken 2 today and feel fine now but I normally get the panic attacks in the morning.

I'm wondering if anyone else here takes Xanax for anxiety/panic disorder and how much do you take and how ling have you used it.
    I got prescribed atarax and lexapro first but they didn't work. I found out they are actually depression pills not anxiety pills.

I feel like I took the stuff for no reason, I'm just hoping this xana. Really works.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Re: Xanax

I would REALLY research any prescribed drug. most of those anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs are bad news. And take a close look at all the many side effects....some may veven shock you... There are so many other alternatives out there for anxiety and depression that are all natural.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

When your brain chemicals are off, anti-anxiety drugs can really help you even it out properly.
    Xanax is often prescribed as something youw ould take to stave off a oncoming panic attack.. OR as a maintanance dose to keep you from having the swings in chemicals that cause the panic attacks. I was put on the maintance dose of .5mg and it did quite well. You always want the lowest possible dose of drug that helps you.

If you think the xanax isn't going to work at .5mg then you may indeed make your stress levels rise just by worrying you'll have a anxiety attack. But give it a shot.. you can always have your doctor raise the amount later on, but I'd give it at least 2-4 weeks before you say it doesn't work.

Not all of the 'natural' remedies are safe either. You should always talk over all alternatives with a acreditted doctor.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

I just don't beleive drugs are the answer to people's "problems"..........and that's all I'm going to say about that
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

Jay_Bunny (04-08-2010)

Thanks

I have been on no less than 40 different anti-anxiety/anti-depressants for my panic attacks in the last 5 years alone, and have been having panic attacks for the past 10 years. I didn't find any medication that did even a little bit of good other than valium, but doctors don't like prescribing that particular medication, and I haven't found one that will prescribe it again since I've moved.
    And you will find, that for some reason, the majority of doctors out there that are just general practitioners and not psychiatrist/psychologists will way under prescribe most anti-anxiety/anti-depressants. The reason for this is because the majority of the meds are considered "addictive", and even if you've proven that you don't become immune to the meds and need to have it increased constantly over a full year they still won't want to give you the correct dosage and will likely want to pull you off the drug and put you on something entirely different.
    I finally gave up medication altogether because in the end it was only making things worse, and at this point I'm close to being at my lowest point because I spent so many years on the medication, save for the fact that I can pull myself out of bed to get to work every day, but sadly that's about the only thing I can manage to get out of bed for. I was in therapy for about 6 months until it got to be too expensive, but it had the best results thus far.
    I know overall medication is cheaper for the most part, but I would really recommend finding a good therapist that deals with anxiety. There is almost always a root cause that ISN'T a chemical imbalance. And finding that cause and dealing with it is really the only way to truly fix this problem and not just cover it up with medication. It's just easier for regular doctors to point at something that can be fixed with pills.
    Last edited by Aleria; 04-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Thanks

Although I am not depressed in the slightest, I used to have a large problem with anxiety. I did have some panic attacks, and used to be somewhat agoraphobic. I couldn’t even make myself go to the doctor for medication, because I was afraid of having a panic attack. I was watching TV one night, and came across a commercial for a program called Attacking Anxiety and Depression. I figured I would give it a try. I acquired the program and listened to it. I have not had an panic attack since, and my anxiety level is way down. The main thing is learning to control your anxiety level. High levels of anxiety are what eventually cause panic attacks.

I hope this helps.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

I'm studying to be a Homeopathic Dr, so take this as you like...
    ALL mood stabilizing drugs, anti depressants and anxiety meds are habit forming, basically since they override the natural pathways your body simply stops producing the hormones that naturally stabilize you and then you can't function without the drugs. This should always be kept in mind when one is deciding if to take the meds or not. They are very hard to get off of once you start.
    Anxiety responds well to massage therapy, and nutrition (try supporting your adrenal gland which are responsible for those fight or flight responses) Herbal sedatives and of course homeopathic treatment can also help although you shouldn't try to do that without a trained practitioner. Naturopathic Doctors can offer many alternatives as well.
    Ultimately anxiety is like a gaping wound and anti anxiety meds like a band aid, they don't address the root cause of the problem and will only cover it up for so long.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have seen a psychiatrist but it is too expensive. $25 2-3 times a week and I cannot afford that. I have a # that I call and talk to someone that is free thru my work. So I have tried something other then meds.

I mainly get it in the morning when I wake up. I'm sweaty, heart racing, feels like someone is sitting on my chest, I have dry mouth. Worried about leaving to go to work that I'll get in a wreck. It really is ruining my life. I'm off work now for 2-4 weeks but I have short term disability so I will at least get paid for it.

They gave me atarax then zoloft then lexapro first. None if these worked at all for anxiety. It just made me not give a crap since those are a anti depressant pills.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My mom dad and grandma all take Xanax. I didn't know they took it, I thought they took a anti depressant like lexapro. So maybe it's kinda hereditary I don't really know. I have researched the drug and see the side effects. It's no worse then half the stuff Ive taken before.

I just hope this helps me out and gets my life back on track. My parents take .25 mg Xanax so I wonder why I get .5 mg?
    I had a bad panic attack at the dr office yesterday. I was in the waiting room waiting for the dr to come in.

My leg was shaking uncontrollably, I was sweaty, it's was hard to breathe. He came in and actually saw how bad my panic attack was, that's why I think he gave me the Xanax. He said take 2 or so a day but take one before I lay down for bed as it will help me sleep.

I fell asleep on the couch last night lol, while watching tv. I never do that so the Xanax does help me sleep. Normally when I lay down my mind races and it keeps me up for hours.

Thanks

Ive taken it recreationally and I can not believe they prescribe such a terrible medication to people. I understand that anxiety and panic attacks may be difficult to live with, but to walk around in a haze like that, day in and day out...that,to me, is a hell of a lot worse.

I encourage you to find an alternative, and I wish you all the best.

As for sleep, natural sleep aids such as melatonin are sold OTC at any drugstore. Srsly, avoid the prescription stuff if you can.

Hope this helps.
    ]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast