Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

0 members and 3,078 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Best boa for beginners?

Rosy Boas are as gentle as they come.
    1.0 Banana Cali-King
    1.0 Cornsnake
    1.0 Ball Python
    1.0 Mexican Rosy Boa
    1.0 Colombian Red Tail Boa

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

There are LOTS of great boas out there for beginners, and even more for someone with a bit of reptile experience under their belt already.

There really is no comparison between rosy boas and boa constrictors, especially from the perspective of snake aesthetics.

The first question I'd ask you is "when you say boa, what do you imagine?" If you truly want a "boa", then you probably already have an idea of what you're looking for.

The Boidae family is split into two subfamilies, which seperates "true boas" and "old world boas". Old world boas are generally smallish (3-4ft max), and typically burrowers like rosy, rubber, and kenyan sand boas.

When I hear "boa", I typically think of the "true boas", such as boa constrictors, tree boas, anacondas, rainbow boas etc.

Of all the true boas, Boa Constrictor Imperator is probably the most numerous in captivity in the US. It is a subspecies of Boa Constrictor, and many people keep it for a first snake. They are often called "red tailed boas" and "common boa constrictors". I prefer to use the term "red tailed boa" to specify Boa Constrictor Constrictor, the largest Boa Constrictor subspecies. BCIs are generally affordable, with numerous more expensive morphs out there.

I'd suggest you decide if you're more interested in old world or true boas. Once you decide which piques your interest more, it will narrow your options down to make it easier to find one of the species that do better in captivity.

If you come across a particular snake species that you just 'click' with, or particularly appeals to you, that's likely the species I'd suggest. So many people go with "option number 2" because they were scared off by terms like "intermediate". If you read up on proper care, very few snake species are out of the grasp of someone with a little reptile experience.

Thanks

Well im looking for a sorta smaller one. Like maybe 6ft max?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f4n70m View Post
    What size tanks do they need to be in?
    Personally, I wouldn't keep any type of true boa in an aquarium style tank. It just doesn't do it for the humidity they need unless you put ugly foil or something on the top. What I do is keep them in a sterilite container when they're young ($10) then upgrade them to a 4x2 PVC cage when they get big enough for it ($200) I believe that's an adequate amount of space for an adult bolivian, and it makes a beautiful display as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aeries View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't keep any type of true boa in an aquarium style tank. It just doesn't do it for the humidity they need unless you put ugly foil or something on the top. What I do is keep them in a sterilite container when they're young ($10) then upgrade them to a 4x2 PVC cage when they get big enough for it ($200) I believe that's an adequate amount of space for an adult bolivian, and it makes a beautiful display as well.
    And how big can they stay in the tub? and what size tub?

Thanks

I have my smaller boas in boot boxes from the container store. They are in the 100-150 gram range . The boxes are 22 inches long by 16 inches wide i think. I already have 4x2's ready for them from repti-racks ( I highly suggest repti-racks). Keeping BCI in a tank really isnt ideal and in my opinion isnt a great idea. A nice strong adult can get out of a tank with just a screen lid pretty easy. I've talked to someone who kept almost all their herps in tanks and one morning woke up to his BCI gone, to only find it later sitting atop his fridge. Glass just doesnt hold heat well, and overhead heating will dry out the enclosure fast and keep it dry.

A smaller boa may be your best bet. Im not sure what experience you have, but if you feel your ready for a BCI then by all means go ahead. Just get a baby and grow with it and you should be fine. Im not saying an adult BCI will be huge by any means, though females can get quite large, but thinking you can deal with a 6 foot snake and actually having one are different, especially on those days their not in the best mood.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

I would go for the rosy boa too. I used to breed Mexican rosy boas, and they are a great little snake!
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Thanks

The best boa is the one that YOU like,not what everyone else thinks is right or prefers for this reason or that.

Thanks

I would say Hog Islands or a Dumerils. Hogs get bigger than 5ft, the male I currently have out breeding females at a friends place is pushing 6ft right now and the female is around 7 or so.

Dumerils are very docile, and pretty calm compared to a lot of boas I've had. Biggest i've seen a male get is around 7 and a female 9. Maybe my friends just have freakishly large boas

I have both, and personally love each of them. I would have to say a dumerils for a first time boa though.
    ♂ - Mojave, ♂ - Enchi, ♂ - Spider, ♂ - Lesser, ♂ - Yellowbelly, ♀ - Normal
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001390853035

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lesserbee View Post
    The best boa is the one that YOU like,not what everyone else thinks is right or prefers for this reason or that.
    Well see what they like or prefer gives me something to narrow it down and choose. If i like one i like it, if not i look at others

And ty all for your replies

How much does a rosy or hogg island cost?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast