Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,975

0 members and 2,975 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

restless behavior

Hi, I'm fairly new to ball pythons so I don't know entirely, but are ball pythons typically restless at night? I find that my BP's sleep all day (which I realize is completely normal lol) but at night they seem to be always trying to escape the enclosure. I thought they were hungry but I just tried feeding them last night and they didn't take. Temps are normal, typically 90-95 basking, 75-80 ambient, humidity is between 50-60%. The dimensions of the enclosures are approx. 1.5'x2' for both snakes (both snakes are 09's - not sure about the exact weights), and both enclosures contain nice fitting hides. And fresh water is offered daily. Also, one of them, has not eaten in exactly 2 weeks so I am beginning to think there is something wrong with his environment. Though I have no idea what would be wrong. Any ideas as to why they would be so restless? Or is this normal behaviour? Thanks

Thanks

Re: restless behavior

This is normal behavior for stressed snakes that is in a new home! You need to make them feel secure by cover the sides and top. Even if you just use newspaper! Make sure you have two tight fitting hides with only one small opening. If you have them in a large enclosures(bigger than 15 quart or 10 gallons) then you can add crumpled newspaper for security. No handling or disturbing for one week and then feed. Keep repeating until they eat! Make sure you are feeding them the same as what the previous owner fed them. Do not handle them until they have eaten a few meals! They should start eating in a couple of weeks! They will calm down and spend most of their time in the hides when their stress level goes down! Good luck and be patient!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to seeya205 For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (04-06-2010)

Thanks

I've noticed my BP comes out alot at night to. She's spent less time lately trying to escape an more lounging outside her hides.

I think BP's are nocturnal. I enjoy seeing her come out. One of the highlights of my day. As long as she's secure and has good hides she should be fine. Giving the enclosure more cover like the person before me said could only help.
    "Be Excellent to each other, And Party on Dudes."
    Pets
    1.2 Cats (Hyuga, Luna, Saki)
    0.1 Woma Python
    1.1 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pastel "Opera",1.0 Pinstripe, 1.0 Spider "Carcillo"
    0.0.1 Striped California Kingsnake "Ceaser" 0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake "Bullet"
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seru1 For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (04-06-2010)

Thanks

I like seeing my snake hide lol. Only time he should come out is for water

And to eat. Other then that he just chills in his hide

But like a day before feeding day he does come out at night

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckeyeBalls For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (04-06-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Those enclosures sound a little large for 09's. I would move them to a small tub for a couple months until they get a little bigger.

What kind of hides do you have?

2 weeks is not long to go without eating, but the roaming and trying to excape combined with the not eating means he is stressed.
    ~Steffe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

reno-cg (04-06-2010)

Thanks

The hides for the pastel male are small. They fit his curled up body with a little extra room. I just added another hide last night for the cooler end of the enclosure. Both are small and dark. The spider's hide is also small and dark, it is a very low lying cardboard box. Whereas the hides for the pastel male are plastic bowls each with a hole cut in them. If I add some fake plant type stuff to the enclosures to fill in some of the empty space, do you think that will reduce stress levels? I ask because I have a ton of it, and it is just going to waste otherwise. Thanks for the replies

Thanks

Don't worry man. He will calm down. Some take a little longer than others do also, so don't freak out.

Just make sure your temps are always around the same as the day before, ect ect

1.0 Pastel 09
    0.1 Pinstripe 13
    1.0 Champagne 13
    0.2 Pastel 13
    0.1 Normal Het Albino 13
    1.0 Albino 13

Thanks

but the roaming and trying to excape combined with the not eating means he is stressed
    They should roam and try to escape sometimes though right? Mine tries every couple days when I'm feeding the geckos or tending to the beetles. He's a good eater though...he was roaming and trying to escape before his feeding last night.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    They should roam and try to escape sometimes though right? Mine tries every couple days when I'm feeding the geckos or tending to the beetles. He's a good eater though...he was roaming and trying to escape before his feeding last night.
    If they feel safe, they should not try to escape. My snakes will occasionally take a quick spin around their tubs, but nothing more then that, no pressing their faces in the corners or scaling the walls.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    If they feel safe, they should not try to escape. My snakes will occasionally take a quick spin around their tubs, but nothing more then that, no pressing their faces in the corners or scaling the walls.
    Hmmmm thats bad then?

I always thought if they felt uncomfortable they'd spend all there time hiding.
    "Be Excellent to each other, And Party on Dudes."
    Pets
    1.2 Cats (Hyuga, Luna, Saki)
    0.1 Woma Python
    1.1 Cinnamon, 0.1 Pastel "Opera",1.0 Pinstripe, 1.0 Spider "Carcillo"
    0.0.1 Striped California Kingsnake "Ceaser" 0.0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake "Bullet"
    0.0.2 Crested Geckos 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast