Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

0 members and 3,033 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran Chocolate Muffin's's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dwarf Burmese python

Quote Originally Posted by DeadLegs View Post
    How am I "picking a fight" merely by disagreeing with you that one person's experience with a wild caught animal cannot dictate the temperament of an entire species? Also, I never said I was confused by anything I simply stated that you are talking in circles.

My entire point from the start has been that your opinion is based on NOTHING more than what one breeder who apparently has infallible knowledge of a species new to everyone, has told you and no further research whatsoever that you've mentioned.
    I didn’t realize that was your ultimate point.

I interpreted your statements to be questioning my base of knowledge and the experience of my reference.

Great deals of opinions are based on the knowledge of others. Maybe I should clarify that I never owned this type of animal, nor did I see it behave in an aggressive way.

But maybe incorrectly, I do believe what this particular gentleman said about the breed. Maybe I shouldn’t base it on what he says, but I respect his knowledge base and that’s why I chose to openly share my thoughts on the subject.

If you weren’t looking to start a fight, sorry – no harm no foul.
    Chocolate Muffin (f- normal) - 4 1/2 years old
    Nico N. Wilson (f - normal) - 20 years old

and introducing:

Doreanne P. Smithe - 3 years old
    (f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Muffin's View Post
    I didn’t realize that was your ultimate point.

I interpreted your statements to be questioning my base of knowledge and the experience of my reference.

Great deals of opinions are based on the knowledge of others. Maybe I should clarify that I never owned this type of animal, nor did I see it behave in an aggressive way.

But maybe incorrectly, I do believe what this particular gentleman said about the breed. Maybe I shouldn’t base it on what he says, but I respect his knowledge base and that’s why I chose to openly share my thoughts on the subject.

If you weren’t looking to start a fight, sorry – no harm no foul.
    Never a fight, friend. Simply a message of "don't be so quick...", is all. I recognize and respect that you choose to believe what an extremely experienced breeder of many reptiles tells you.

All I am saying is you shouldn't take that as an infallible and set in stone, description of the species. If someone told me that, it would honestly just make me more curious to find out, regardless of the breeder's experience with OTHER reptiles, is it true?

At that point I would study my keister off and educate myself beyond what just one person has explained to me was their experience. that's all i'm sayin'!

BPnet Veteran Chocolate Muffin's's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeadLegs View Post
    Never a fight, friend. Simply a message of "don't be so quick...", is all. I recognize and respect that you choose to believe what an extremely experienced breeder of many reptiles tells you.

All I am saying is you shouldn't take that as an infallible and set in stone, description of the species. If someone told me that, it would honestly just make me more curious to find out, regardless of the breeder's experience with OTHER reptiles, is it true?

At that point I would study my keister off and educate myself beyond what just one person has explained to me was their experience. that's all i'm sayin'!

I understand now. I haven’t been a snake owner very long, so I tend to assume that people with a lot of experience know what they’re talking about – I know that I should try and find out more on my own.

The reason I asked him, was because I LOVE the regular Burm, but their size makes it an inappropriate choice for my household – Although I’d love to have one. So I went over to Twin Cities Reptile, and the owner had one there. It’s a beautiful animal, but he did really have me thinking that all of them were this way. Hopeful after the CB program develops, some individuals will be produced with milder temperaments.
    Chocolate Muffin (f- normal) - 4 1/2 years old
    Nico N. Wilson (f - normal) - 20 years old

and introducing:

Doreanne P. Smithe - 3 years old
    (f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

The one at TCR was acquired on a trade if I'm correct, so he didn't get it as a hatchling...If the person he got it on trade from got it from the importer, that's one main herp-experts around and very respected...I got my Dwarf from him too, but mine is CBB...

The Dwarfs seem to be more prone to being of the temperamental state...However, keep your eyes open for the Half Dwarfs...They are just coming into the market but very slowly, which I'm glad to see...They have the mellower behavior of the mainland burms, but also a little more pep-in-their-step because of their smaller size...I know there will be some breeding coming out this year hopefully and I should have my pair breeding by the November season...But save your pennies, they aren't as cost-effective as the normal mainlands...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to alohareptiles For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (02-11-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Dwarf burms most certainly do exist.

I don't know much about them that doesn't apply to burms in general, except that they are smaller, not as easy to find, and pretty pricey compared to a normal burm hatchling.

I think Twin Cities Reptiles (a local reptile pet store near where I live) has one however, sure is a looker!
    What a coincidence! I go there all the time so I'll have to see if they have a dwarf burmese (I want one SO bad).

Registered User Dead Out Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Dwarf Burmese Pythons can be very pissy & can be tamed, its not an easy task when there WC but it can be done.
    Bob Clark breeds CB, CB Dwarfs from 2008 onwards have calmed down alot.

Here is one of the first Dwarfs ever to enter the UK in 2003 (Which is mine )

Half Dwarfs have been around since 2006 but the very first F2 Half Dwarf Morphs were first produced this year by Tom Reagan, Mike Cole & Art In Scales (Randy) ie: Albinos, Granites, Albino Granites, Hypos..
    F1 Half Dwarfs from a Dwarf (Male) x Mainland (Female) max out around 8ft not one has ever past 9ft..
    F2 Half Dwarfs from a Half Dwarf x Half Dwarf breeding produce even smaller Hatchlings which obviously will stay even smaller then the F1's because of the smaller Half Dwarf Female.. (Thats alot of the word smaller LOL)

The reason people dont use Dwarf Females is because theres like a 10% chance they will lock & even if they do then theres like a 5% chance your get an ovulation from the breeding.. so breeding Female Dwarf x Mainland Male is pretty pointless.

Daniel
    Last edited by Dead Out Reptiles; 12-07-2010 at 10:45 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dead Out Reptiles For This Useful Post:

reptileexperts (09-18-2012)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123