Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,126

2 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran Chocolate Muffin's's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Dwarf Burmese python

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Dwarf burms most certainly do exist.

I don't know much about them that doesn't apply to burms in general, except that they are smaller, not as easy to find, and pretty pricey compared to a normal burm hatchling.

I think Twin Cities Reptiles (a local reptile pet store near where I live) has one however, sure is a looker!
    I have seen the dwarf burm at TCR - I had a long talk with the owner too. Beautiful snake, but 'very mean.' Onwer says she is WC and not handlable and that in his 30 + years, they all have simular tempermants. The one he has is quite a looker though. At the time he and I spoke, he was asking $850 for her, but warned that she was 'nasty.'
    Last edited by Chocolate Muffin's; 02-09-2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: grammar
    Chocolate Muffin (f- normal) - 4 1/2 years old
    Nico N. Wilson (f - normal) - 20 years old

and introducing:

Doreanne P. Smithe - 3 years old
    (f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Is this nasty attitude more because they're mostly wild caught? How is the temperament of the CBB ones?
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Muffin's View Post
    I have seen the dwarf burm at TCR - I had a long talk with the owner too. Beautiful snake, but 'very mean.' Onwer says she is WC and not handlable and that in his 30 + years, they all have simular tempermants. The one he has is quite a looker though. At the time he and I spoke, he was asking $850 for her, but warned that she was 'nasty.'
    I fail to recognize how one can have 30 yrs experience in dealing with an animal which was only introduced to the pet trade roughly eight years ago and in very small numbers. If he has a wild caught dwarf burm, it is most assuredly going to be very pissy considering what stress and possible treatment it endured before landing in his care, let alone the fact that it IS a wild caught caught snake which is just naturally going to be worse tempered/more flighty than a CBB.

Thanks

I cant remember where i read it but i had read that there are no CBB Dwarf Burms because either the female or male refuse to breed in captivity so all CBB dwarf burms are actually 50/50 crosses
    "Don't Underestimate me."
    My herps:
    1.0.0 Ball Python- rex
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon- Spike
    0.1.0 Crested Gecko- Cheweh
    0.0.2 Metallic Pink Toe Tarantula-Bubbles, Skittle(My little brother named them)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeadLegs View Post
    I fail to recognize how one can have 30 yrs experience in dealing with an animal which was only introduced to the pet trade roughly eight years ago and in very small numbers. If he has a wild caught dwarf burm, it is most assuredly going to be very pissy considering what stress and possible treatment it endured before landing in his care, let alone the fact that it IS a wild caught caught snake which is just naturally going to be worse tempered/more flighty than a CBB.
    In 'his' 30 + years in dealing with snakes, he is saying that this particular breed has always had this tempermant. He said it was wild caught. The 30 years is how long 'he' has been dealing with snakes.

Snakes are wild animals...why should it surprize anyone that some specimen are not socialized in away that appeals to humans. It may take a while to get them to a tempermant that makes them an appropriate pet. Who knows, but this is what I was told by a man well versed in the petrade that has his own specimen.

and introducing:

(f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
    I cant remember where i read it but i had read that there are no CBB Dwarf Burms because either the female or male refuse to breed in captivity so all CBB dwarf burms are actually 50/50 crosses
    There are a few CBB Dwarf Burms out there...I have one, which is why I know and I know the breeder is respected in the field and imported the parents and successfully bred them...

Thanks

Ok thanks for clearing things up
    Last edited by Kuba; 02-09-2010 at 07:06 PM.
    "Don't Underestimate me."
    My herps:
    1.0.0 Ball Python- rex
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon- Spike
    0.1.0 Crested Gecko- Cheweh
    0.0.2 Metallic Pink Toe Tarantula-Bubbles, Skittle(My little brother named them)

Thanks

In 'his' 30 + years in dealing with snakes, he is saying that this particular breed has always had this tempermant. He said it was wild caught. The 30 years is how long 'he' has been dealing with snakes.

Snakes are wild animals...why should it surprize anyone that some specimen are not socialized in away that appeals to humans. It may take a while to get them to a tempermant that makes them an appropriate pet. Who knows, but this is what I was told by a man well versed in the petrade that has his own specimen.
    Your statement is mildly running around in circles. I just got finished saying that if it is a wild caught specimen, it is obviously going to be more tempermental than if it were a CBB which would be much less inclined to be such a feisty and non-handleable animal. His experience with a WILD CAUGHT specimen does not give him the leverage to state that as a breed they are tempermental to deal with and difficult to tame just because it is so in that person's experience.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeadLegs View Post
    Your statement is mildly running around in circles. I just got finished saying that if it is a wild caught specimen, it is obviously going to be more tempermental than if it were a CBB which would be much less inclined to be such a feisty and non-handleable animal. His experience with a WILD CAUGHT specimen does not give him the leverage to state that as a breed they are tempermental to deal with and difficult to tame just because it is so in that person's experience.
    I'm not in disagreement with that. Please don't pick a fight with me. I merely stated what was specifically said to me when I inquired about this particular snake. I don't know, nor do I have any experience with a CB, so it’s an area I didn't address.

[Your statement related to the relative possibility of someone having experience with an animal that has only been in the pet trade for a specific amount of time.]

[My statement is in regard to what an experienced snake handler and business owner told me about this particular species.]

Hopefully you’re no longer encircled in confusion anymore about my statement.

and introducing:

(f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

I'm not in disagreement with that. Please don't pick a fight with me. I merely stated what was specifically said to me when I inquired about this particular snake. I don't know, nor do I have any experience with a CB, so it’s an area I didn't address.

[Your statement related to the relative possibility of someone having experience with an animal that has only been in the pet trade for a specific amount of time.]

[My statement is in regard to what an experienced snake handler and business owner told me about this particular species.]

Hopefully you’re no longer encircled in confusion anymore about my statement.
    How am I "picking a fight" merely by disagreeing with you that one person's experience with a wild caught animal cannot dictate the temperament of an entire species? Also, I never said I was confused by anything I simply stated that you are talking in circles.

My entire point from the start has been that your opinion is based on NOTHING more than what one breeder who apparently has infallible knowledge of a species new to everyone, has told you and no further research whatsoever that you've mentioned.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast