Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

2 members and 2,863 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Looking for Experiance Photographer

Hey there,

I need someone to re-enlighten me what I forgot after photography class 3 years ago. Now that I have my DSLR I realized how much I have forgotten, and all the questions and guidance about lens and certain settings that I have. I have a Sony DSLR A330, and I know the basics, there's just a few questions I have. You don't really have to have experience with Sony's, but it may help. I'm pretty sure most of my questions apply to all camera brands.

Thanks!
    -Jess

Thanks

Re: Looking for Experianced Photographer

Come ON. I know there are some on here.

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Looking for Experiance Photographer

i bet i could help you out a bit...what kind of info are you looking for? if you take a look at my sig there's a link to my flickr account, and there are a bunch of snake photos there if you're interested.

but, fire away with the questions, i'll try to help as best i can!

Thanks

Im sure if you just asked the questions, they would be answered....kinda like if you build it....they will come kinda deal.

Thanks

Alright, well I'll just post some of my questions here then.

This is the camera I have.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887570

Now, a few questions I have about the Camera itself. I know what aperture and shutter-speeds all mean and how they work, but I had previously assumed that aperture range was the same as the f-number, and that's where I got confused.

Here's the lens that comes with the camera itself.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887592
    The aperture range that I am capable of with this lens on is F4.5-F29. So what does the f/3.5-5.6 mean on the lens?

Also, I want to potentially buy more lenses for zoom and macro purposes. I assumed getting them from Sony is the best option, but are there also other choices that I could look into?
    Also, when it comes to Zoom and Macro lenses, I wanted to know exactly how the 'mm' applies to each. I figured that (for example, my current lens is 18-55mm) is the range at which it can zoom. I don't know how to convert them or apply them to Macro (the macro I want is http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11039114 ) or apply them to Zoom (the zoom I want is http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11035733 ).

Do you have other recommendations?

Thanks!
    -Jess
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 01-18-2010 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Also, I want to potentially buy more lenses for zoom and macro purposes. I assumed getting them from Sony is the best option, but are there also other choices that I could look into?
    Also, when it comes to Zoom and Macro lenses, I wanted to know exactly how the 'mm' applies to each. I figured that (for example, my current lens is 18-55mm) is the range at which it can zoom. I don't know how to convert them or apply them to Macro (the macro I want is http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11039114 ) or apply them to Zoom (the zoom I want is http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId=11035733 ).

Do you have other recommendations?

Thanks!
    -Jess
    to start, the macro lens that you want, is what you call a PRIME lens. that means, you can't "zoom" in or out. it is a fixed focal length, you ALWAYS be shooting at 50mm with that lens.

the zoom lens you want, is (obviously) a ZOOM lens. it means you can shoot at 75mm, or zoom all the way out to 300mm.

those are the two types of lenses. prime lenses, and zoom lenses.

you don't HAVE to buy lenses made by sony, there are 3rd party companies that make lenses for your camera, i'm sure. like Sigma and Tamron.

as for your other question

"...Here's the lens that comes with the camera itself.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665887592
    The aperture range that I am capable of with this lens on is F4.5-F29. So what does the f/3.5-5.6 mean on the lens?"

the f/3.5-5.6 means that at your MINIMUM focal length on that lens, you can shoot with an aperture of 3.5. HOWEVER, when zoomed all the way in, the maximum aperture you can use is f/5.6.

it's what we call a "variable aperture." prime lenses do not have this, as they have a fixed aperture.

i hope that clarifies some things...i'm really crappy at explaining things, so here's a link for oyu explaining fixed and variable apertures.

fixed/variable apertures

another place you might want to check out is Digital Photography School. DPS is the most wonderful photography site i know of, if you look on their home page (which i've linked to) you can click on the "Forum" link. their forums are ran by the same software as the ball-pythons.net forums, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to figure out. you can literally post and ask ANYTHING, and there are thousands of photographers on there, ranging from beginner, to full fledged professional, and they should be able to explain things better.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SquamishSerpents For This Useful Post:

blackcrystal22 (01-19-2010)

Thanks

Thank you, you've helped me out a lot.
    So that just leaves one question.

How do you convert mm zoom into feet or any metric conversion.

Thanks

i assume you mean, how many feet closer can you get with a 300mm zoom, for example?

that i don't know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katia View Post
    i assume you mean, how many feet closer can you get with a 300mm zoom, for example?

that i don't know
    Yeah, exactly how to be able to tell how far a 200 or 300mm lens will zoom in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Yeah, exactly how to be able to tell how far a 200 or 300mm lens will zoom in.
    A LOT.

i don't know the conversion, but if you take a picture from all the way out and one all the way in with some type of ruler in the image i may be able to figure out magnification.

300mm lens are used to photograph stuff that is far away. Over the summer i picked up a 300mm tameron lens from a guy off CL . he had the nikon mount for it too. I do a lot of birding when its warm so that 3oomm lens was a real help. Before that i was birding with a 105mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast