Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,371

1 members and 1,370 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

View Poll Results: Should We Stop Harvesting Wild BP's?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

69 61.61%
  • No

43 38.39%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks

Re: Wild Caught Ball Pythons

think its pretty neat that someone took the time to get this out there while i don't condone the way they where handling them you still get some great genetics from wild caught snakes there have been a few morphs that have come from wild caught snakes just read something about it but can't really remember much have a little problem with short term memory sorry
    lol
    I AM MY OWN GOD !

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Off topic bits of this thread have been moved to Quarantine due to the nature of the discussion.

If you do not have access to QT and would like access, PM myself or another Administrator to ask for access (our names are in red).

Thanks

i dont think we should be taking anymore from the wild, "not for the pet trade" as food i think thats fine, i would rather have children eat then go hungery. i love snakes i have 17 and i love them all. but i think we have enough snakes to work with, we dont need to take any more out of the wild.

Thanks

i agree with kuro

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks
    It's an interesting discussion to be sure. I guess I have mixed feelings about it. I had to deal with a lot of struggles getting my wild caught male to be healthy again and of course I have been to reptile rescues with almost their entire collection of rescues made up of normal males who pet owners got bored of and breeders don't want because they are 1. normal and 2. boys!

Look at australian snakes in order to see what the ball python world would be if they could no longer be imported. Many of these unique species of snakes do very well and sell well. A pretty snake will find a home. I feel that if we can no longer get something "New", instead the focus may turn to getting something "better"... Prices can still be VERY high for extremely high quality animals. We have TONS of unrelated ball pythons out there to keep lines strong and healthy.

If anything, at least limit it. And good lord, at least limit the amount of poor males. It makes me so sad, no one wants these boys. The non breeders want girls because they get bigger, and the breeders want girls because they will have babies. After getting to know a few of the snake breeders who live near me(ahem..several of them who I do not like at all), I have seen more and more of them just turning into selling their males as feeders to people with snake eating snakes and such. I suppose it's natural and all, but sad when it comes to that point! And then I see a shipment of 50 baby balls from africa, all of whom are boys, and all of whom look completely average, not even a tiniest bit of dinker quality.

But I can see both sides. I can see why people would want to keep bringing them in. I DON'T think stopping importation will kill off the ball python industry though. Might change it. But we adapt. I personally would at least like to see fewer imports, and more care with what is imported--Try to get healthy snakes at least..Unique snakes. Snakes that will find homes.
    Last edited by purplemuffin; 01-17-2012 at 03:38 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

francisco_24 (01-17-2012)

Thanks
    okay seriously guys, do you care about the snakes, or the almighty dollar? There is completely no need to get wild ball pythons. None. You want it, you breed it, or it is Not Needed. Flat out, completely unnecessary. Why even have snakes if you don't enjoy having snakes for just that...having a snake. If you want to be the next big name, too bad. That is not what is best for the snakes.
    That's just completely greed.
    14 snakes, 12 bugs, 1 skink, 1 frog, 2 dogs, and tons of fresh and saltwater fish. I've also begun snake rescue. What a ride!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456