Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

4 members and 2,963 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

View Poll Results: Should We Stop Harvesting Wild BP's?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

69 61.61%
  • No

43 38.39%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Wild Caught Ball Pythons

Thanks again for that link...I think I may order it...as it's the only actual DVD I have been able to find with what seems to be some decent footage of the snakes in the wild.
    And ya...it's not exactly shot with an HD HandyCam or anything like that But atleast it's good enough you can tell what's going on.

I would still love to find a "National Geographic" type movie on BP's....seems like there are informational movies with video from the wild for all other kinds of animals....tigers, elephants....heck they have a WHOLE SHOW on Animal Planet dedicated to Meer Cats...?? lol

Thanks again,
    SpiderBP
    FUBAR

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

So, wait, you would rather see a species eaten into extinction than you would see it taken into captivity and preserved?
    I don't get it, I really don't. I don't see captivity as a worse fate than death. I also don't consider animals that are extinct in the wild, but still alive in captivity, to actually be extinct.

Either way, ball pythons are in no danger of extinction in captivity OR the wild.
    Common sense--the ball pythons are worth more to the trappers alive than they are dead. Otherwise, the trappers would be eating them, or they would go to the bush meat trade, not the pet trade.

Most of the ball pythons exported are captive-hatched babies. If they ate all the adults, there would be no more babies. They don't find all of the nests, as the wild populations aren't significantly impacted by all of this. The babies aren't worth eating, but they're worth selling overseas. It's sustainable, in a place where very few other things are.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    So, wait, you would rather see a species eaten into extinction than you would see it taken into captivity and preserved?
    Absolutely.
    In the three major countries they are found in, the people do eat them and export them. I am not saying I want to see the wild population disappear at all...but if the WILD population did get used up, I would rather it be from the fact that they fed people and kept the people alive than to know that they all went to pet-trade.

And I'm sorry, I shouldn't have used the word extinct, as I am not talking about the species as a whole...rather just the wild population.
    FUBAR

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBP View Post
    Absolutely.
    I am not saying I want to see the wild population disappear at all...but if the WILD population did get used up, I would rather it be from the fact that they fed people and kept the people alive than to know that they all went to pet-trade.
    I'd rather see people use common sense and birth control, instead of imitating a giant plague of ravenous locust's and wiping thousands of species just for food.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

5. The Following User Says Thank You to panthercz For This Useful Post:

jbean7916 (01-17-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    I'd rather see people use common sense and birth control, instead of imitating a giant plague of ravenous locust's and wiping thousands of species just for food.
    Are you going to move over there and teach them common sense? Oh, and I hope you are a very wealthy person if you're going to provide condoms and birth control to all of them.
    FUBAR

Thanks

I care about the way these animals are treated in the process.
    Seeing WC animals burned out of the bush with huge scars does not rub me right..

If 'sacrificing' those special morphs and money for the sake of the animals' welfare, I'd prefer not having anymore imports. But it's not going to happen either way, so I don't really care that much.

However, in that video those animals may not have been treated with extreme care, but they didn't trap them like they normally do.. and that was meant for the link dr del posted anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panthercz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderBP View Post
    Are you going to move over there and teach them common sense? Oh, and I hope you are a very wealthy person if you're going to provide condoms and birth control to all of them.
    No need to go off topic there.. yes most humans are irresponsible. Move on.

P.S. Condoms can be found free just about anywhere. (in the U.S.)

Thanks

Actually there are groups active in Africa teaching the native population how and why to use condoms. There is also a superstision in parts of Africa that if you have sex with a virgin then you will cure yourself of AIDS, leading to rape and increased AIDS infection. Hence them marketing that one anti-rape device that is like a condom with little hooks in it that girls put in themselves, thus hooking into a guy who attempts to rape them.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    P.S. Condoms can be found free just about anywhere. (in the U.S.)
    They were talking about people in Africa, that over populate and have to eat snakes to sustain life. Not people in the US where condoms are sometimes given away for free.
    FUBAR

Thanks

Mind that with a brutal government the likelihood that a group that is trying to teach the population to use condoms will manage to get into that country is fairly low.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

SpiderBP (12-04-2009)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast