Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,969

1 members and 2,968 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Ball Python or Hogg Island Boa?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ball Python (Pinstripe or Spider)

41 62.12%
  • Hogg Island Boa

25 37.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hogg Island Boa vs. Ball Python?

Okay ive been thinking about this topic for soooo long now.

Should i get a ball python(either a pinstripe or spider) , or a Hogg Island Boa?

I have barely enough room for a Hogg island boa tank(60 gal), but they are so pretty and tame.

the only thing is, this would be the last snake i get for a few years. and i want it to be somehting good. they are both good, but i love how the Hogg gets big.SEE!!!! i cant decide!!!

i would like to hear from anybody who has a hogg island and let me know anything i should know about them as well

Thanks

Re: Hogg Island Boa vs. Ball Python?

Quote Originally Posted by bamf64 View Post
    Okay ive been thinking about this topic for soooo long now.

Should i get a ball python(either a pinstripe or spider) , or a Hogg Island Boa?

I have barely enough room for a Hogg island boa tank(60 gal), but they are so pretty and tame.

the only thing is, this would be the last snake i get for a few years. and i want it to be somehting good. they are both good, but i love how the Hogg gets big.SEE!!!! i cant decide!!!

i would like to hear from anybody who has a hogg island and let me know anything i should know about them as well
    I couldn't help but notice you voted in your own poll about what you should get. If you voted for the Hogg Island Boa, go for it! The big size is great, and someone is going to chime in and say that you shouldn't need other people's opinions affect your decision, but sometimes people need advising. Anyways, I have a bp, and he's the sweetest thing, I just wish I had gotten something that got larger, cause I don't know about you, but I like a challenge.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abuja View Post
    I couldn't help but notice you voted in your own poll about what you should get. If you voted for the Hogg Island Boa, go for it! The big size is great, and someone is going to chime in and say that you shouldn't need other people's opinions affect your decision, but sometimes people need advising. Anyways, I have a bp, and he's the sweetest thing, I just wish I had gotten something that got larger, cause I don't know about you, but I like a challenge.
    well if i can find a tank big enough ill get the hogg. but if not ill go for the ball

Thanks

Dont forget the Hogg Island Boa is considered a dwarf boa, acheiving lengths of only 5ft
    1.0 Lesser Platinum 0.1 Mystery Morph 0.1 Enchi 1.1 Yellow Belly
    1.0 08 Black Pastel 66% Poss Het Pied 0.1 09 Lemon Pastel
    2.0 09 Spider Ball 0.1 08 Pinstripe 0.0.1 09 Green Tree Python
    1.0 High Contrast Albino 1.0 Orange Ghost 66% pos het pied
    1.0 Fires 1.1 CH Granites 1.0 Woma Ball 2.4 Normals/dinkers
    0.1 Suriname Red Tails 0.0.1 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko
    0.1 08 Irian Jaya Carpet 0.0.1 Pac Man Frog 1.0 Jungle Raptor Leopard Gecko 1.0 Blizzard Leopard Gecko 0.1 Super Snow Patternless Albino Leopard Gecko 0.1 Blazing Blizzard 0.1 Jungle Leopard Gecko 0.1 Snow Blizzard

Thanks

Definitely get a pinstripe or spider ball python!
    Actually, hog island boas are pretty sweet and I would seriously get one too if I just wasn't wrapped up in breeding balls.
    Last edited by dr del; 08-15-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: No sales discussions allowed outside of the PM system or appropriate forum.
    ---------------------
    Steve

Thanks

I most likely prefer the BPs. I'm more into pythons rather than the boas, even though I do own a boa. I would love to own a Red Tail though, but I would much rather keep a JCP than a Red Tail. BPs are beautiful, especially those Spiders and Pinstripes. I think the Pinstripe is even better than the Spiders, and I'm crazy for Spiders. In my opinion, I find the BPs easier to care for and make wonderful pets. When I got my first BP, I knew what snakes I wanted. Just over 2 months ago, I purchased a beautiful little boy for her (to breed next year, of course). BPs are great snakes, and I know you will have a lot of fun with having one. If you wanted a BP but only think it will not grow that large, a female can max a good 4-5 ft and over (maybe a bit over 5, rarely ever get 6 feet but some get very close). Plus, if you feed it large meals, you will have one bulky 5 foot female, and that's what I'm aiming for with my female. The big BPs are fun to handle, just because of their size :]. I just find BPs very interesting and very fun to have. Even though they rarely wander around during the day time, it's such a wonderful pet to own. I actually don't even mind the snake hiding. The thing about that is that when they hide people say, "Well, where's the snake?" and once you take it out there beholds a beautiful BP which seems to impress the people and most likely make them think, "Wow, that is a very beautiful snake!!".
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

I have both. If you want a more active snake that will be handled often i would go for the hogg. Boas just seem much more social and interactive. I have a spider and he hates being held....plus if you go for a ball dont forget about the wobbles in the spiders, i think it really makes a difference on their personality.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I most likely prefer the BPs. I'm more into pythons rather than the boas, even though I do own a boa. I would love to own a Red Tail though, but I would much rather keep a JCP than a Red Tail. BPs are beautiful, especially those Spiders and Pinstripes. I think the Pinstripe is even better than the Spiders, and I'm crazy for Spiders. In my opinion, I find the BPs easier to care for and make wonderful pets. When I got my first BP, I knew what snakes I wanted. Just over 2 months ago, I purchased a beautiful little boy for her (to breed next year, of course). BPs are great snakes, and I know you will have a lot of fun with having one. If you wanted a BP but only think it will not grow that large, a female can max a good 4-5 ft and over (maybe a bit over 5, rarely ever get 6 feet but some get very close). Plus, if you feed it large meals, you will have one bulky 5 foot female, and that's what I'm aiming for with my female. The big BPs are fun to handle, just because of their size :]. I just find BPs very interesting and very fun to have. Even though they rarely wander around during the day time, it's such a wonderful pet to own. I actually don't even mind the snake hiding. The thing about that is that when they hide people say, "Well, where's the snake?" and once you take it out there beholds a beautiful BP which seems to impress the people and most likely make them think, "Wow, that is a very beautiful snake!!".
    ya i kinda narrowed it down to a pinstripe or a Blood Python lol. ive wanted one for a asupr long time i just hadnt researchd them b4. do they pretty much require the same care as a BP? 85-90F, aspen,2hides,waterbowl, plants? how big of a tank do they need?

to tel u the truth, it all depends on what i can afford at the show. so i kind of just have too see what happens. its a 50/50 chance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bamf64 View Post
    ya i kinda narrowed it down to a pinstripe or a Blood Python lol. ive wanted one for a asupr long time i just hadnt researchd them b4. do they pretty much require the same care as a BP? 85-90F, aspen,2hides,waterbowl, plants? how big of a tank do they need?

to tel u the truth, it all depends on what i can afford at the show. so i kind of just have too see what happens. its a 50/50 chance.
    BPs are pretty cheap. I guess the cage requirements would be similar, but BPs prefer a warm side of temps between 88F-94F and a humidity level between 50%-60%. I love the Bloods too, just so awesome how bulky they can get. I was thinking of a Blood, but now I think about it I may just go ahead and get that JCP because I've always wanted one but the Bloods are getting my interest. Though, it depends on the BP part. I would LOVE to get a Pinstripe, or even a Spider, but either is fine. If Pinstripes are cheaper or run about the same price as a Spider, I am seriously getting a Pinstripe. No doubt about it. Do you know how much Pinstripes are? Seriously I would love one to be a part of my collection :].
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    BPs are pretty cheap. I guess the cage requirements would be similar, but BPs prefer a warm side of temps between 88F-94F and a humidity level between 50%-60%. I love the Bloods too, just so awesome how bulky they can get. I was thinking of a Blood, but now I think about it I may just go ahead and get that JCP because I've always wanted one but the Bloods are getting my interest. Though, it depends on the BP part. I would LOVE to get a Pinstripe, or even a Spider, but either is fine. If Pinstripes are cheaper or run about the same price as a Spider, I am seriously getting a Pinstripe. No doubt about it. Do you know how much Pinstripes are? Seriously I would love one to be a part of my collection :].
    they can run anywhere from 250-400$

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast