Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,838

2 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
    Quantum Constrictors
    A few questions about my new BP
    Hey again everyone,

I have a few questions about my new ball python!

First, She finally gave up looking for a way out of the tub. She spent all night going around the lid and tub looking for a way out. Not possible girl sorry! But anyways from the ride home yesterday it looks like she has some pink and red under her jaw. Im guessing from rubbing around the bag she was in for so long. I think her going all over the cage made it get a little bigger but its not bleeding ot anything and it doesnt really look that bad.

So anyways, Firstly when should I start handling her? The previous owner said she is an angel but skittish when you make fast movements around her (kinda like every snake lol) But he was touching her face with no problems and handling her fine when I got her so I dont see any temperament problems what my concern is should I not handle her for about a week just so I can make sure she doesnt have any mites or anything else that can be spread to my other snake?

Next I got her on monday and the breeder told me that was feeding day. I feed my snakes on sundays. So should I wait until sunday to feed her? Should she be fine for another 5 days without food? (I know they can go on month long fasts) But Im just saying shes under stress from a 2 hour long car ride and then put into a big new tub (the guy had her in a 7qt! She is 24" long that seemed a little small. She is in a 54qt I believe now. So she has a good amount of room now. Oops got off track. Back to food so yah is it ok if I wait till sunday to feed her i mean she is stressed out as it is.

Last question, What should I name her?!! I have so far, Nixie, Freyja, Athena, Naga, Aurora, Pandora I think that about all I can find for names I like. I like all of them I really like Pandora, Freyja, Nixie.

I think thats about it!

Thanks Everyone!!

-reptiliachnids
  • 05-08-2012, 01:37 PM
    Quantum Constrictors
    Well I think I picked a name haha I think I am going with .... Pandora!!!

Other then that anyone able to help??
  • 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
    Slim
    Congrats on selecting a name! I would urge your feed your new BP on your schedule and wait until your next regular feeding day. I would also leave her to settle into her new tub and not handle her except for husbandry until after she eats for you.
  • 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
    The Serpent Merchant
    I would suggest not handeling her until she is consistently eating for you. Wait until Sunday before you try feeding, she needs time to settle in and destress (most won't eat at first anyway)

If you are worried about the spot on her chin just post a picture of it do we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with.
  • 05-08-2012, 01:45 PM
    Tfpets
    I would say dont worry about the red spot if it isnt raw or bleeding, it will go away if she quits messing with it. I would reccomend not handling her for about a week or so. Most BPs are angels, but a bit skittish. They can learn, with regular gentle handling, that nothing is going to hurt them. Some even seem to enjoy being handled after a while. I would say there would be nothing wrong with trying to feed her on sunday. Nothing wrong (usually) with feeding them any time they want to be fed! LOL!
  • 05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
    satomi325
    Re: A few questions about my new BP
    Quote:

Originally Posted by reptiliachnids View Post
    Hey again everyone,

I have a few questions about my new ball python!

First, She finally gave up looking for a way out of the tub. She spent all night going around the lid and tub looking for a way out. Not possible girl sorry! But anyways from the ride home yesterday it looks like she has some pink and red under her jaw. Im guessing from rubbing around the bag she was in for so long. I think her going all over the cage made it get a little bigger but its not bleeding ot anything and it doesnt really look that bad.

Yup. Balls will rub their jaw raw. It'll heal up in time. You can always dab some betadine to keep it clean in the mean time if you are really worried about it.

Quote:

So anyways, Firstly when should I start handling her? The previous owner said she is an angel but skittish when you make fast movements around her (kinda like every snake lol) But he was touching her face with no problems and handling her fine when I got her so I dont see any temperament problems what my concern is should I not handle her for about a week just so I can make sure she doesnt have any mites or anything else that can be spread to my other snake?

I recommend waiting a week before feeding or handling. It ensures a nice quiet period of time for her to adjust.

You should always treat all new commers for mites. It's a good preventative practice. If you have Provent-a-mite, a good spray down of the tub is a good idea. (Just be careful. Read the directions very carefully as the liquid fumes can be harmful to your snakes)

Quote:

Next I got her on monday and the breeder told me that was feeding day. I feed my snakes on sundays. So should I wait until sunday to feed her? Should she be fine for another 5 days without food? (I know they can go on month long fasts) But Im just saying shes under stress from a 2 hour long car ride and then put into a big new tub (the guy had her in a 7qt! She is 24" long that seemed a little small. She is in a 54qt I believe now. So she has a good amount of room now. Oops got off track. Back to food so yah is it ok if I wait till sunday to feed her i mean she is stressed out as it is.
    How much does she weigh? Most of us can't judge size with length.
    6-7 qts are used for hatchlings.
    I prefer using 16qts for 500grams or less, 28/32qts for 2000 grams or less, and anything over 2000grams get a 41 qt tub.

Balls don't really need much space. Especially head space. They're a terrestrial snake who like tight spaces because it gives them a sense of security. Too much space will stress them out and are more prone to going off feed. Just make sure the set up isn't too open and has hides for your girl.

:)