Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,078

0 members and 3,078 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 07-04-2004, 03:51 PM
    EyeLashViper
    Refused again.
    Hello all,
    Okay, I have my new Columbian Redtail boa and I was wondering exactly what kind of growth rate I am looking at for this species of snake? in other words, how long will it take for her to attain full size? also I was curious about this feeding regimem I have heard about where you can somewhat control the eventual size of this snake...in other words you can prevent them from becoming TOO big...I would like to (if possible ) keep her size at around ten feet tops because I live in an apartment - not that I mind a giant snake but I try to keep a low profile around here because I doubt that the management are snake lovers like I am. Should I restrict her caloric intake ? what would be a good routine for feeding her..??? right now she is on medium mice but I intend to get her on pre-killed rats soon. Thanks for the advice in advance... 8)

EyelashViper
  • 07-04-2004, 05:31 PM
    Alkaurkharim
    As far as I know, males only get 5-8 feet and females get 7-9 feet. 10 foot RT is rare. If you have a male, don't worry about a special feeding regimen. A female you might I guess, but I doubt it.
  • 07-04-2004, 08:32 PM
    led4urhead
    Alkaurkharim nailed right on the head for the size of a BCI. When they reach somewhere around 4-5 feet you can scale back feeding an appropriately sized rodent or ( when they reach somewhere around 7 feet .. depending on the size of rats you can get ) bunny every 10-14 days. Right now i'm feeding the 6 foot female i'm boa-sitting the biggest rat i can get my hands on every 10 days. She doesnt seem to be starving and is still maintaing her girth, strength, and overall temperment. Its really all up to the keeper.
  • 07-06-2004, 08:46 AM
    Stormyva
    There is no such thing as controlling the growth of the snake by adjusting a diet! Well for the most part that is.... some "breeders" will power feed a snake to make it grow to an adult breedable size faster than would be the norm. The snakes internal organs do not mature and grow as fast as the snake so typically will cause some major health issues. On the other hand under feeding is going to mean slow growth for the snake. The snake is going to be malnourished , under fed, under weight, and unhealthy. No matter how you look at the feeding thing it is bad.... stick with the proper feeding frequency and prey size if you want to have a healthy snake. When it comes time to purchase a snake buy one that doesnt have the potential to get bigger than you are comfortable handling.