Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,901

2 members and 2,899 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
    MelissaFlipski
    Has anyone converted furniture to a herp enclosure?
    I was toying with the idea of converting a dresser, curio or china cabinet, display case, or other type of furniture to the next size up, and hopefully his permanent home, for our jungle carpet python.

Has anyone already done this? Can you show pics and share how you did it? I was thinking it would be easier than building one from scratch. The idea is that there would be 3 sides of wood and 1 side of glass or plexiglass. I saw an old TV cabinet turned into an enclosure for JCP's in Reptile Magazine.

Thanks for sharing.
  • 06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
    Gloryhound
    Re: Has anyone converted furniture to a herp enclosure?
    This here was meant to be a storage cabinet from lowes. I used pieces from an old computer desk to build the front. The doors + a small additional piece became the back. The inner shelves were used to build all the internal dividers to make it a four unit piece. It is all laminate wood with some pieces only laminated on one side which I made sure was the inside. Each of the 4 enclosures measure 34" long, 10" tall, and 15" deep. (About the same as a Cb-70 tub with extra head room. The actual doors are plexiglass.

http://mysite.verizon.net/david_amon...s/P2030029.JPG
  • 06-03-2008, 04:00 PM
    Blu Mongoose
    I wish I had a pic! My dad had changed over a very old cabinet television (1950's) into a lighted fish tank. With the curved glass still in place. You would open the doors and watch the fish. Sorry, unable to change the channel!:P

Another freind redid a buffet sideboard into a monitor enclosure. Changed out the guts. Replaced the drawers with false fronts and put glass in the door panels.
  • 07-09-2008, 10:20 AM
    avdnco
  • 07-09-2008, 10:24 AM
    Jerhart
    Quote:

Wow....alcatraz...never have to worry about anything gettin out of that! very nice! :gj::gj:
  • 07-09-2008, 11:15 AM
    ChicaPiton519
    this isnt as decorated up as it is now, but you get the idea,
    it was a 47 inch cabinet style tv, gutted it, big hinged door in the back... sucks cause unless its out already, i have to roll it around to get into it...
    its now comparable to i think 109 gallons or somthing =]

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...e/CIMG5430.jpg

my boa was in it for a while, now it is home to a 5.5 foot JCP female.... a little more work than the average dresser conversion... but it looks cool
  • 07-09-2008, 11:34 AM
    Damon Theis
  • 07-09-2008, 02:45 PM
    claytonfaulkner
    im about to head to some thrift stores in search of a new computer desk. i was to make the bottom a cage in the shape of a u, should have pics in a few weeks.
  • 07-17-2008, 03:29 PM
    Dcommander
    Wow nice!! Amazing really!
  • 07-17-2008, 08:18 PM
    PythonWallace
    I've posted this one before, but what the hell... I made this from a $100 glass front book shelf when I was breeding corn snakes. I basically just sealed the wood, added strip lights, ventilation and 'snake proofed' it.

http://myspace-505.vo.llnwd.net/0140...09268505_l.jpg