Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,052

2 members and 3,050 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

mites or ticks

Printable View

• 06-21-2011, 09:27 PM
    Harleyx2
    mites or ticks
    I thought my snake had mites but then I seen another snake at a place that had mites and they are alot smaller than what my snake had on him. Do mites have a large range in size? My snake had about 6 bugs on him that looked almost like a flea off a dog and the oher snake had a bunch of smaller bugs . How do I tell the difference in ticks and mites?
  • 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM
    ogdentrece
    I'm not sure about large mites, but I know snake mites mostly are pretty small specks. Ticks I've seen before, its about the size of a small scale I think, on my first ball at 200g I mistook a tick for a discoloured scale for about a month, it was partially covered by another scale and was the same size, didnt move. Ticks are pretty round and don't exactly move. Brownish reddish? Mites are just black spots apparently.
  • 06-22-2011, 11:11 AM
    kitedemon
    Ticks are actually quite large compared to mites. Snake mites are tiny tiny ticks are not so small. I got a rescue in last year with ticks here is a photo of a tick. Mites are a lot smaller.
    Tick...
    http://images15.fotki.com/v230/photo...D7_4349-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki
  • 06-22-2011, 11:29 AM
    Amon Ra Reptiles
    This is a pic of mites. I found it on google. You can see the mites in his hands and in the snakes ventral scales.
    http://tapatalk.com/mu/c6e4e2ef-0a5a-d63e.jpg
  • 06-22-2011, 03:52 PM
    gold217
    Re: mites or ticks
    Mites are black or reddish colored specks. If your snake has them, you will notice them by the vent, eyes, heat pits, and on the underside of the snakes head. Ticks are typically larger, and don't move much. When I first got my bp, I thought I saw mites in the water dish, but it was really just dirt from my substrate. Also if a snake has mites, it will soak often and you'll probably see them on your hands after you handle your snake. Hope this helped! :snake: