Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,853

1 members and 2,852 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Ball Pythons Under Water?

Printable View

• 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
    Bdubedub
    Ball Pythons Under Water?
    I got my ball python Saturday and hes swam 4 times in his water bowl and will submerge his head for a few minutes and then come back up and do it again... any reason for this??
  • 05-01-2011, 06:09 PM
    youbeyouibei
    Could be mites, pre-shed itching or it might just be that he likes to swim. :D My male albino used to swim in his dish quite a bit when he was younger...never had any issues shedding or with mites (knock on wood!) but he'd go for a swim every so often. I'd check to make sure it isn't mites and that he isn't getting ready to shed but otherwise not stress it.
  • 05-01-2011, 06:12 PM
    Bdubedub
    I havent seen any mites... he looks clean from what I can tell... he did have ALOT of pervious shed from the last owner not properly caring for him. Do you think hes trying to get the old off?
  • 05-01-2011, 06:15 PM
    dragonboy4578
    Re: Ball Pythons Under Water?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdubedub View Post
    I havent seen any mites... he looks clean from what I can tell... he did have ALOT of pervious shed from the last owner not properly caring for him. Do you think hes trying to get the old off?

That is very possible.....
  • 05-01-2011, 06:16 PM
    youbeyouibei
    That very well could be. Could be too that he's retained eye caps and is trying to clear them off. Here's a great sticky that gives a better step-by-step than what I could manage:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...hed-No-problem.

Hope that helps and good luck!
  • 05-01-2011, 06:20 PM
    spitzu
    IMO soaking is usually a bit unnecessary. Normally a damp hand towel left on the warm side of the tub/tank will do the trick. It will dramatically increase humidity and provide an abrasive for the snake to rub on.
  • 05-01-2011, 06:38 PM
    Bdubedub
    My ball python loves the warm water in the tub... he just relaxes and stretches out... he still in his water dish as we speak... been about an hour.