Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,045

0 members and 3,045 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 05-22-2013, 09:03 PM
    Trackstrong83
    DEVOURED: Man eating super snake returns
    Well, this show just came on animal planet and I have a feeling it's going to frustrate me. Ha I'll watch it and see how it goes. Have a feeling there's going to be a lot of fear mongoring. :rolleyes:

Main thing I don't like is that they use the term "python" to describe the burms in Florida. They should mention they are Burmese pythons, cause when I tell people I have ball pythons the first thing they think is, OMG A PYTHON?!?
  • 05-22-2013, 09:38 PM
    Newbie Ball
    Just gotta educate em. Before I got into reptiles I thought pythons were these big bad snakes that ate everything.
    Now I know they are just misunderstood.

Their needs to be more people educating people, and not by that one guy who only brings Burmese pythons to shows.
  • 05-22-2013, 10:04 PM
    Raven01
    Re: DEVOURED: Man eating super snake returns
    Burmese are pythons too.
    Can't fault a channel for the ignorance of the public.
    A man-eating lion can accurately be described as a cat attack. The difference being the public is aware that you don't mean Fluffy the Turkish Van next door ate an old lady.

I would consider it an opportunity to educate people more than an insult to your passion for reptiles. What snakes are there left after all that could prey on humans? Only about 4 species come to mind and the instances of that happening are exceedingly rare. To the point of for at least one of those 4 being totally unsubstantiated.

Then, when you get into the pet reptiles causing problems.... compare that to irresponsible dog owners. Does it scare you more that your child could be eaten by a snake than mauled by a dog? Should it?
    It reminds me of the visceral reaction some people have regarding guns in a home. Yet, every year more children die in pools or visiting homes with pools than gun related deaths.

People don't make sense sometimes. Other times you can walk them to a more reasonable conclusion with accurate info and a bit of common sense (which should be considered a super-power some days).
  • 05-22-2013, 11:38 PM
    UltraViolet
    Giant snakes, vicious dogs, mountain lions, spiders, bears... It's skeery out there! :O
  • 05-23-2013, 12:01 AM
    PorcelainxDoll
    "Pythons have an insatiable urge for flesh" apparently. That show pissed me off!

1.0 Ball Pythons(Twizzler)
    1.0 Cat (Loki)
  • 05-23-2013, 01:27 AM
    Centexsnakes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven01 View Post
    Burmese are pythons too.
    A man-eating lion can accurately be described as a cat attack. The difference being the public is aware that you don't mean Fluffy the Turkish Van next door ate an old lady.

I would consider it an opportunity to educate people more than an insult to your passion for reptiles. What snakes are there left after all that could prey on humans? Only about 4 species come to mind and the instances of that happening are exceedingly rare. To the point of for at least one of those 4 being totally unsubstantiated.

Then, when you get into the pet reptiles causing problems.... compare that to irresponsible dog owners. Does it scare you more that your child could be eaten by a snake than mauled by a dog? Should it?
    It reminds me of the visceral reaction some people have regarding guns in a home. Yet, every year more children die in pools or visiting homes with pools than gun related deaths.

People don't make sense sometimes. Other times you can walk them to a more reasonable conclusion with accurate info and a bit of common sense (which should be considered a super-power some days).

Perfectly said!!
  • 05-23-2013, 08:27 AM
    bcr229
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Raven01 View Post

I can fault it for spreading FUD.