Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,602

1 members and 2,601 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
  • 08-14-2008, 11:05 AM
    icygirl
    Is it possible/legal to have a crow as a pet?
    While I worked at the wildlife center we had a young crow come in, and not only was it very intelligent but it wanted human attention all the time. I was thinking that crows would make great pets. Does anyone know if that's been done before? I know they get big but hey, people keep macaws as pets too.
  • 08-14-2008, 11:11 AM
    littleindiangirl
    Re: Is it possible/legal to have a crow as a pet?
    That is Chris's dream bird to own lol. I really have no clue on the ownership of the, but it would be cool to have one.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...reat_pets.html

From yahoo answers
    Quote:

It is illegal for you to own a crow or raven that is native to the US if you live in the US. All native birds are protected by the Migratroy Bird Treaty Act. You can legally own a non-native crow. Some people keep an African species called a Pied Crow as a pet. Check out this site more more info:
    http://www.corvitude.com/corvidranch.htm...
  • 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM
    dsirkle
    By checking online I found that Massachusetts has a law forbidding interfering with or possessing live birds that are native to the State. You can however obtain a wildlife rehabilitation license by passing a test. Then you can legally possess a live crow if you want one.
  • 08-14-2008, 11:25 AM
    Jenn
    Crows make great pets. Have you ever seen "It's a Wonderful Life?

I had a pet crow for several years and a friend of mine raised one from a baby.
  • 08-14-2008, 11:28 AM
    mlededee
    You should check the DNR laws for your state in order to be sure of the exact laws as they apply to you.
  • 08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
    Kesslers Kreatures
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn View Post

The dude Brooks from shawshank redemtion has a Crow for a pet too
  • 08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
    icygirl
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenn View Post

Wow that's great. How did you acquire it? And what is it like to raise a crow compared to other birds?
  • 08-14-2008, 06:13 PM
    mooingtricycle
    Massachusetts has some pretty interesting laws. People wanting to keep an animal, to keep it, will have a hard time obtaining a license for just that sole reason. You have to be doing it for a better cause than just on a whim.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpets.htm
  • 08-16-2008, 01:56 AM
    sekaiNdobes
    In many states it is illegal, but I've got a friend who has a pet Starling and she's never had a problem. Technically she could be fined big time, but the actuality of someone of authority actually finding out she's got one of these in her living room is slim to none:

http://homedir-b.libsyn.com/podcasts...-_up_close.jpg

Poor bird, my friend's starling is named Fugly. ;)
  • 08-16-2008, 02:04 AM
    lillyorchid
    If I ever got a bird it would be a crow. They are awesome and super intelligent birds!