Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,126

3 members and 3,123 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Signs he's going to shed?

Printable View

• 10-16-2008, 10:30 PM
    Smith285
    Signs he's going to shed?
    I'm wondering what the signs are of a ball python going into shed? I just got my python about 5 weeks ago, but he is a year old. He's been doing real well, eating every wednesday with no problems, his temps are between 82-84 on his cold side and right around 92 on his warm side with humidity between 47-52 (I know it should be between 50-60 but the reading is right below the heat lamp I have to keep the cool side warm enough in my apartment), aspen bedding... basically I've spent enough time on this site to have the husbandry down pact (just ask my girlfriend whom I've been driving nuts)

Anyways, he didn't eat for me last night and he's been spending all of his time in his hide whereas he usually comes out around 10:30-11:00 to explore and then when I picked him up today he was real squirmy. I also thought his skin looked a little dull but I'm not sure if I'm just wanting his skin to look dull so that is what I am seeing or what. I always heard their eyes will get a dull look to them when they are going into shed, but it looked like his eyes are normal.

Anyway, I guess I went the long way around asking what the signs of a ball python going into shed are...so what are they?
  • 10-16-2008, 10:35 PM
    xanaxez
    Re: Signs he's going to shed?
    ball pythons spend a majority of there time in hide so no need to worry about that lol and his skin will turn dull to a kind of bluish look as for the same with his eyes they will turn like a milky bluish also. thats about the same for all snakes. i do not own a ball but i have several carpet pythons and as far as i know and what i have read there shedding is about the same as most pythons. dull to bluish skin with a bluish milky haze to the eyes. i myself am not an expert and there is alot more people on here with alot more knowledge of them then i have so id say give them a lil to respond. im sure im not to far off base about the way it will look but liek i said i dont own one so i would get other opinions also lol.
  • 10-16-2008, 10:37 PM
    xanaxez
    also by looking at the pictures in your images if it isnt your cameras color messed up id say perhaps shes about ready to lol.
  • 10-16-2008, 10:39 PM
    tigerlily
    The signs of a shed can differ with each snake but as a general rule you'll see a decrease in their activity level. (Mine would stay in their hides for a couple days prior to a shed), you may notice a bit of pinkness on the belly, and they will have a dullness to their scales.

It sounds like you will notice the eyes going opaque in the next day or so.
  • 10-16-2008, 10:54 PM
    Smith285
    actually he does have a pink stomach... and definitely less active. I think my little guys going to have his first shed for me. Time to bump up the humidity now I suppose.

And I think the color on my pictures are just from the camera because those are from when I first got him

Thanks for the quick replies ;)
  • 10-16-2008, 11:19 PM
    rishnack
    yeah pink belly, eyes cloud up or blue feeling vulnerable ,i keep track of all sheds so i can kinda know when there getting close to one its not an exact ,but helps when there acting strange
  • 10-16-2008, 11:39 PM
    Basketball303
    Smith, you and I have a lot in common now. I'm a new owner of a ball now and have been on this site too and driving my girlfriend nuts! oh what a life we lead. My ball is also going into his first shed with me. His eyes have been opaque for about two days now and his skin definately feels different. I didn't feed him on his scheduled day (today) because of the shed. The sheds usually last 7-10 days to complete the cycle, so be patient....hopefully we can share this awesome moment around the same time.
  • 10-17-2008, 10:23 AM
    Smith285
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Basketball303 View Post
    Smith, you and I have a lot in common now. I'm a new owner of a ball now and have been on this site too and driving my girlfriend nuts! oh what a life we lead. My ball is also going into his first shed with me. His eyes have been opaque for about two days now and his skin definately feels different. I didn't feed him on his scheduled day (today) because of the shed. The sheds usually last 7-10 days to complete the cycle, so be patient....hopefully we can share this awesome moment around the same time.

haha that's pretty funny. good luck!
  • 10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
    Smith285
    Just an update for those who care, his eyes are definitely a bluish color today, so I rigged a humid hide out of a cool whip container and some damp paper towels and put it in his cage. This is pretty exciting haha
  • 10-17-2008, 03:58 PM
    WingedWolfPsion
    The usual progression:

First stage:
    An overall darkening in color
    Pinkish belly--an even color, not in patches.

Second stage:
    Extremely dark color
    Very noticeable pink coloration over the belly
    Cloudy bluish-grey steely look to the eyes
    Reduced activity/possible increased irritability
    Often food is refused.

Third stage:
    Eyes clear.
    Color lightens, but not completely
    It is most important to raise the humidity at this point, as shedding should occur within a day.