Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

0 members and 2,844 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 10-17-2009, 08:26 AM
    RyanF
    What do you do when your snake dies?
    I'm sure this a hard question but we have to face the facts, as a breeder you bring life but you also loose life. Now as a breeder many snakes die from complications at birth to the female dieing, and theirs also of just plain old age. But my question is what do you do with them? So lets say you have a 6ft snake, that's not exactly small, and he passes away. What do you do with a 6ft snake? You cant exactly flush it down the toilet like a goldfish. What do you do?
  • 10-17-2009, 09:00 AM
    catawhat75
    Re: What do you do when your snake dies?
    I have a friend who works for an animal crematorium so I have had small animals cremated, including my daughters pet rats.
  • 10-17-2009, 10:53 PM
    zackw419
    I just throw the body out in the trash. The animal is no longer using it, so there's no need to hold onto it.
  • 10-17-2009, 11:05 PM
    CoolioTiffany
    When one of my snakes or reptiles die, I normally burry the body in my mum's rose garden she has in the backyard. I've burried every reptile I've had that has passed away. I don't really find throwing it in a trash can that sanitary, and I do love all the reptiles I've owned, so I'd feel rude for just tossing its body in a trash can.
  • 10-17-2009, 11:07 PM
    Didgie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zackw419 View Post
    I just throw the body out in the trash. The animal is no longer using it, so there's no need to hold onto it.

In my mind's eye, I can just see a garbage man seeing it and freaking out....

I haven't experienced this yet, but I imagine I'll bury it.
  • 10-17-2009, 11:08 PM
    Jason Bowden
    I will bury them in the flower beds around my home. May they all live long healthy lives!
  • 10-17-2009, 11:35 PM
    zoologist
    There is a certain beetle that is commonly used to strip flesh from bones (I don't remember which species.) You can then rearticulate the skeleton and use a special glue to keep it together.
  • 10-18-2009, 12:08 AM
    ThyTempest
    -Dermestid beetles.
  • 10-18-2009, 12:57 AM
    zackw419
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Didgie View Post
    In my mind's eye, I can just see a garbage man seeing it and freaking out....

I haven't experienced this yet, but I imagine I'll bury it.

You know, now that I think about it I probably would bury a snake that dies of old age. By that time I would probably feel a much stronger bond with it than I do now.
  • 10-18-2009, 09:42 AM
    Darkice
    Double bag it and toss it in the trash. Even large snakes dont take up much space in a garbage can.