Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,776

2 members and 2,774 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Sani-Chips?

Printable View

• 03-01-2006, 09:41 PM
    gmmuscle91
    Sani-Chips?
    OK, so now i know that pretty much all sand and repti-carpet shouldnt be used for my leps, what about this stuff? http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...2030043&Ne=2it doesnt look like it would cause impaction or anything like that.
    what do u guys think?
  • 03-01-2006, 09:49 PM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Re: Sani-Chips?
    I used sani-chips from Harlan for almost 5 years ... they were awesome ... never had a problem.

I use unprinted newspaper now ... I like it much better because it's cheap, easy to store in bulk, and when you clean the cage, you know it's clean.

-adam
  • 03-01-2006, 09:50 PM
    gmmuscle91
    alright. thanks. it will work for juvi leps too, right?
  • 03-01-2006, 09:54 PM
    Adam_Wysocki
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmmuscle91
    alright. thanks. it will work for juvi leps too, right?

ohhh poop ... didn't see which forum this was posted in ... sorry about that ... I have no idea how lizards work. :confused:

-adam
  • 03-01-2006, 11:23 PM
    gmmuscle91
    thats ok. does anyone else think this would be ok?
  • 03-02-2006, 11:56 AM
    elevatethis
    What?! Repti-carpet shouldn't be used? Who told you that? IMO thats the BEST substrate to use for these guys. Leos do not do as well with a loose substrate as they could with something like carpet. The downside to newsprint is that it doesn't give them anything for them to get their claws into as they walk around. Repti-carpet is porous enough that it allows them to get their claws into it, but it doesn't use looped fibers that people talk about claws getting stuck into.
  • 03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
    gmmuscle91
    check out the thread called calci-sand and there is tons of debate on repticarpet because they can get their teeth caught on the fibers.
  • 03-02-2006, 11:34 PM
    mlededee
    i used indoor/outdoor carpet in my crested cages for a while and i noticed that they did often get their teeth stuck in it when hunting crickets. they had to struggle pretty hard sometimes to get themselves free so i quit using it. i use papertowels and newspaper with all my geckos now.
  • 03-02-2006, 11:57 PM
    gmmuscle91
    yes. but i would really like to know if this is safe for the leps?
  • 03-03-2006, 01:20 AM
    elevatethis
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gmmuscle91
    check out the thread called calci-sand and there is tons of debate on repticarpet because they can get their teeth caught on the fibers.

I don't mean to offend, but that's a load of poo right there. Not once have I over observed any on my leos getting their teeth caught on the floor. I've even got a female that will take a dive-for-life to grab a cricket and never had a problem.

I'll tell you why loose substrates are bad. First, male hemipenes occasionally come out for breeding purposes or for no purpose at all. They are very proned to becoming prolapsed if sand or dirt or bark gets stuck to that tissue. It can result in sterilizing your male or death from a resulting infection. Second, when they defacate, tissue within their vent can come out as well, resulting in a prolapsed cloaca. Again, a very serious conditions that's not fun to deal with. Third, loose substates pull moisture out of anything that contacts it. This include a vital area on leos- their toes. Stuck shed on their toes never gets a chance to come off and they end up losing toes as the tissue dies. Not life-threatening, but your leo can lose a few toes.

I'm not basing this on my opinion just cause- this info comes from personal experience with these guys and the observations i've made. Hope that helps.