Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,873

1 members and 2,872 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Preserving animal tails?

Printable View

• 12-14-2007, 07:04 PM
    Ginevive
    Preserving animal tails?
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out. My friend gave me a raccoon tail, off of a raccoon that he killed for meat (yes, I have redneck friends.. birds of a feather, flock together.) He salted it and removed "most of" the bone, and said "it should dry up in no time and be preserved."
    I am leary though. The stump still has a "gamey" area and a very, very slight odor that resembles beef that has been left out for a few days. Nothing strong, but I just don't want this going bad; it is cool and I collect skulls, bones, etc. and other objects from nature. I have it out in my cold hallway for the time being.
    Any ideas? I read to roll it around in sawdust but am not sure if this is good advice. I did an internet search but lately it seems like anything you search, you just find a million links to buy that thing..
  • 12-14-2007, 08:05 PM
    Halfdawg
    Re: Preserving animal tails?
    Jen
    If not already done when skinned, split the tail of
    the hide the entire length on the underside. I would then strape any meat that you see off with a sharp knife and salt it. Here is a link straight from the hills of Tennesse.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/pdfs/tanninghides.pdf

Richard
  • 12-14-2007, 09:57 PM
    wolfy-hound
    once it's scraped and dried, you can oil it with neatsfoot oil, and gently work the skin to work the oil into the fibers.
    For a fur-on actual tanning, it's more complex.
  • 12-14-2007, 10:02 PM
    Reediculous
    people eat raccoons?
  • 12-14-2007, 11:08 PM
    wolfy-hound
    Raccoons and possums. They tend to be a little bit greasey. Sometimes gamey too.
  • 12-15-2007, 12:08 AM
    joepythons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Raccoons and possums. They tend to be a little bit greasey. Sometimes gamey too.

I have even heard of barbeque raccoon :hungry::hungry:
  • 12-15-2007, 12:08 AM
    joepythons
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ginevive View Post
    I was wondering if anyone could help me out. My friend gave me a raccoon tail, off of a raccoon that he killed for meat (yes, I have redneck friends.. birds of a feather, flock together.) He salted it and removed "most of" the bone, and said "it should dry up in no time and be preserved."
    I am leary though. The stump still has a "gamey" area and a very, very slight odor that resembles beef that has been left out for a few days. Nothing strong, but I just don't want this going bad; it is cool and I collect skulls, bones, etc. and other objects from nature. I have it out in my cold hallway for the time being.
    Any ideas? I read to roll it around in sawdust but am not sure if this is good advice. I did an internet search but lately it seems like anything you search, you just find a million links to buy that thing..

Jen when is the hoot-nanny :rofl::rofl::banana::banana: