Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,872

1 members and 2,871 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
    Didgie
    How fast do rat snakes grow? and aggressiveness experience?
    So, those of you have own Texas Rat Snakes - how fast do they grow? Twix is about the size of a big pencil right now, is the best way I can describe it. I'm just itching for him to put some size on. (Less games of "find the snake in the bedding" I hope) :) I'm sure he's very young - a few months, I'm guessing? How much will he grow by the time he's, say, a year old?

Also, very unrelated - I see a lot of posts about how Texas Rats are supposedly pretty feisty and a bit nippy. Twix has been amazingly chill, though - what kind of experiences have ya'll had with them? I'd love to get another (I'm hooked), and I'm slightly curious if I just got lucky with this guy, or if it's really a snake-to-snake basis when it comes to aggression. (not that I'm bothered by getting bitten...especially at this size! :-P)
  • 03-31-2011, 03:46 PM
    Shenzi Sixaxis
    I don't know about growth, but my Lucy Tex rat Daemon was kind of flightly when I got him but still okay. After about a month he became extremely aggressive to the point where opening his bin lid gets hissy, puffs, opens his mouth and gapes, strikes at anything that moves, and if I want to move him, either I dump his whole tub or I get bit. Bit multiple times, actually.

He's a small 2009, as he gets so aggressive he hasn't been willing to eat whenever I try offering prey. I saw your other post and I think Daemon is 2-3 times the size of yours.

The worse bite I got from him was when he thought I was food. Not fun.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...you-taste-good.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of western rats. The only reason I would buy another is if it was a nice sized adult and I got to see it in person and it was like a corn snake. Hand tame Blue Beauties (eastern rat) are something I'm looking to producing in the future.
  • 04-01-2011, 06:02 PM
    Didgie
    Hmmm, ok. I'll likely see how Twix acts as he gets older before I make any plans to get another...the lucy tex rat was what I was wanting, too! So I guess it's just wait and see, and then decide. :)
  • 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM
    SoFarAway
    I don't know how fast Texas rats grow, but most ratsnakes are good feeders so I'd assume he'll be grown up within two years. I've only ever heard of defensive and/or aggressive Texas rats, but there could always be exceptions. Without stressing him, try to get him used to being handled, as this will make life easier for both of you. :)
  • 09-19-2011, 10:37 PM
    midwest_98
    I got my first rat snake about 6 months to 9 months ago. I feed him right at 2 pinkies a week. I havent done exact measurements but im guessing he is a little over around a foot. He was tame at first, then got skitish and is now calm. From my brief history and slight knowledge i know they have aggression issues but you take the good with the bad. Its all about handling and care of them. Good luck!

I did have a adult Tex Rat that was bought from Siegel Reptiles out of FL for a short while. He was around 4 foot and the most agressive i have ever had, striked at the tank just for walking by.