Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,796

2 members and 2,794 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
  • 08-14-2010, 12:56 PM
    rimelame
    Can 2 females and 1 male live together?
    Hello.

I currently have 2 normals in a 125gal tank. They have lived in the same tank for nearly a decade and seem to be fine with it. In fact, the female has even had a few 'children', so stress isn't really a problem. she eats large rats, and he eats medium.

I'd like to get another, bumblebee, ball python. Once the new girl is around 1500-2000 grams, would be be ok to put them all together?
  • 08-14-2010, 01:16 PM
    Royal Morphz
    Re: Can 2 females and 1 male live together?
    Can they yes, do most recommend it no. Housing multiple BP's together creates numerous problems 1 being a feeding issue. Bps are nervous feeders so if you remove them before feeding they may not eat also feeding them and then moving them is a no no that can cause a BP to regurgitate their meal and can stress out the snake. At no time shoulf you feed 2 or more snakes together that could be very bad.
  • 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM
    rimelame
    They are fed in a different tank, where they remain for a few hours before they are re-introduced into the large tank. At this time, they also get cleaned with a warm cloth (which they love).
    Over the past 10 years with these 2 snakes, we've had good feeding periods and bad, but they are healthy and could probably go 6 months without eating and remain healthy. I'm hoping to get the new girl nice and large (1500-2000 grams) before putting them together. I feel, at that point, they'll be less stressed... and if they do get stressed, it'll buy me 6 months to get them 'un-stressed'....

thoughts?
  • 08-14-2010, 01:46 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

When I first joined I too kept a few snakes in one large enclosure and it took a good while for people to talk me into trying one snake one cage.

I will never go back to multiple BP's in the same enclosure again.

Since you are going to have to use at least two enclosures in order to get your new snake up to size and to stand a chance at having even basic quarantine proceedures I really would suggest you try adding another and keeping all the animals seperate.

This also means you can feed in their enclosure to try that out at the same time.

Once they have settled into their new routines I don't think you will go back either. ;)

Also if you cut the food down to small rats every 7 days you should find that ( in conjunction with the new housing situation ) their feeding record improves dramatically - I know mine did.

You also have a lot more ability to observe each animal to check for problems and have a great deal more control about the whole breeding thing.

dr del
  • 08-14-2010, 01:52 PM
    rimelame
    what are the pros and cons though?? Say I choose to follow through with them being in the same tank a year from now. What bad things could happen? I have heard people say it may become stressed and wont feed properly. other then that, what are the negatives?
  • 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM
    dr del
    Hi,

Well there are a few possible problems.

Stress through competition for resources ( hot spots, hides etc ) this is quite subtle to our eyes but can have a major effect on the snakes themselves in regards to appetite and immune system.

Illness and cross contamination. If one snake becomes sick then there is a greater chance that all snakes will become sick - and even if they don't you will probably need to treat all of them to prevent it which means triple the vets bills.

If one snake regurges or has a worrying stool how do you find out which one it is?

Cannibalism it happens.

Breeding complications. One school of thought says that a female who is not in condition will not breed. But one who is just up to weight/ condition would be more likely to do better in the long term if she was given an extra year - this is easy to do in single snake housing but impossible in mixed housing. I've never seen a snake chastity belt. :rolleyes:

And, to be somewhat blunt, if you are willing to spend the money on a female bumblebee you should definately not want to keep it in a substandard environment.

And, just to be clear, from the snakes point of view there are no pros - the only pro is you might save a little money. But to be honest if you build your own rack you wouldn't be saving all that much money at all by keeping them together.

dr del
  • 08-14-2010, 02:48 PM
    rabernet
    I think that the real question is - do you really want to hear us say that ideally they should be housed separately? Because that's what the bulk of the responses are going to be? Or have you really already made up your mind that's what you plan to do in the long run?

We have so many people come and ask the same question, or very similar, that really don't want to hear us saying the exact opposite of what you hoped to hear.
  • 08-14-2010, 03:57 PM
    akaangela
    When I started with my balls I had one 55 gallon tank for one ball. Now I have them in tubs. Are the snakes "happier?" well they eat better.
    Pros: you "think" your balls are happier (not true they are not cuddling they are compeating for the best spot in the tank)
    They have "room to roam" (also not true as balls don't like to be exposed so all that space is going to waste )

Con: when one snake gets sick who is it?
    When you get a regurgitated item who did it and why?
    one or the other is getting the prime spots
    you have to separate before feeding
    It is harder to maintain proper temps and humidity

The list goes on and on for the cons and is very very short for the pro's (that is if you can find one) as balls are not social animals. In the wild they do not seek out company (except to breed) then go their separate ways.

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that this was an honest question and not trying to stir up people as there are TONS of threads about snakes living together. Some reasons are graphic and tragic.

p.s yes they "can" live together and if you can not for some reason have them live apart then (hopefully) it won't kill them, but honestly why take the chance? We are not trying to bash you but there are some strong feeling on this topic.
  • 08-14-2010, 04:58 PM
    Bellabob
    I think so, I have heard of people dong that. Just make sure you don't put a male with a male.
  • 08-14-2010, 05:28 PM
    mainbutter
    It can be done, but to do it 'right' requires way more space, time, and money than you'll be interested in.

a 55 gallon tank with proper heating, a few hides, a water bowl, and substrate doesn't come close to providing enough variety in an enclosed environment for the snakes to avoid each other if they chose to do so.