Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,140

0 members and 3,140 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Harlequin

Printable View

• 11-29-2009, 03:00 AM
    Moofins07
    Harlequin
    What's the deal with the '08 Harlequins from Tim Lane at Ballroom Pythons? The price for one is $100, but why pay 40-50 dollars extra for a snake that looks like a normal? Is there some hidden bonus going on here? I don't mean to come off as rude or condescending to Tim Lane - I've heard great things about him so far - but I feel I need an explanation on these ones. What significance does the name have?

http://www.ballroompythons.com/ballp...reed=Harlequin
  • 11-29-2009, 11:45 AM
    angllady2
    Re: Harlequin
    One thing I notice right away is the very reduced pattern on that snake.

As I understand it, a reduced pattern that is passed on to the snakes offspring is very desirable, perhaps that is why?

Gale
  • 11-29-2009, 11:48 AM
    Serpent_Nirvana
    I like the "harlequin" look. I think they're pretty.

I've always thought of it as just a "type" of normal -- like reduced pattern, striped (not true genetic stripe or super-stripe), blackback, and so on. I know I've heard of some genetic harlequins, but I never followed up on it much. Usually, I think that the appearance is not genetic in the sense of being due to a single point mutation. (If someone has more info on the genetic harleys, please do chime in since I'm not being much help here :P )

When I bought my harlequin, I figured, hey, if I'm gonna have wild-type females in my collection, they may as well be ones that I like to look at. (Unfortunately, mine then turned out to be male, but that's a different story ...) That's the way I think of it, anyway. Plus, who knows -- it always could be some new co-dom trait with a wild and crazy homozygous form ... :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ana/Harley.jpg
  • 11-29-2009, 11:52 AM
    dr del
    Hi,

From my (limited ) understanding they are still classed as "dinkers" because the genetics haven't been fully explored and proved reproduceable.

I wouldn't say they look exactly like normals though.

So you are paying a little bit extra for what may turn out to be a genetic morph in the future - it might not but there is certainly no attempt at hiding that fact going on. :)

dr del
  • 11-30-2009, 02:22 AM
    Moofins07
    Thanks for the input! Especially for that photo of your Harlequin Serpent Nirvana. The juveniles they had for sale didn't seem to express a visually different pattern. Nor did the adult example they had, except for the continuous dorsal stripe that stretched about a third of its length. But with yours, I definitely see a difference. I adore the "hook" patterns.
  • 11-30-2009, 02:35 AM
    BPHERP
    Here is a very good example of a Harlequin I own:

Some have intermittent striping, while this example is 100% unbroken...

http://www.projectpython.com/images/...Stripe_1.0.JPG

Brandon
  • 11-30-2009, 02:39 AM
    Moofins07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandonsBalls View Post
    Here is a very good example of a Harlequin I own:

Some have intermittent striping, while this example is 100% unbroken...

http://www.projectpython.com/images/...Stripe_1.0.JPG

Brandon

Gorgeous example, Brandon! :gj:

Problem is, all of the examples I've seen are so vastly different, aside from the dorsal stripe. I think it's going to be hard to prove out the Harlequin.
  • 11-30-2009, 02:51 AM
    mainbutter
    The "harlequin" bp is not a single-gene genetic mutation morph.

They cost extra because they are pretty.

All BPs have a tendency to pass on pattern and color regardless of what mutations it may carry. It's like passing on facial structure in people.

I'd take a really nice harlequin any day over many average morphs, regardless of a considerable lack of breeding potential (it's there, just way more difficult). It's just so much easier to breed for single-gene mutations.

P.S. brandon's harlequin really is a prime example!! An absolute stunner!! IMO harleys don't command the price that they should.
  • 11-30-2009, 04:58 AM
    royalpython
    I did read of mans success, and failures online, when trying to reproduce this morph. I don't think it's going to be easily reproducible, but i might be wrong. I picked up a harlequin, and an unproven stripe pair, to give myself a good chance of replicating... but who knows. I won't be surprised either way.
  • 11-30-2009, 08:20 AM
    Sprinkles
    VMSherp seems to have proven the Harliquin genetic. You can read about it here. It seems the quality is pretty variable, but some of those harly babies are hot stuff. :gj: