Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

3 members and 2,834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
View RSS Feed

Judy's Weightloss Journey

Day Forty -- Getting Easier! (and a recipe to share)

Rate this Entry

Felt pretty darned good today! I'm not feeling deprived or unhappy in my food choices. My incidences of upset stomach (heartburn) are decreasing markedly each day. I think I'm already over the hardest hump, and it wasn't nearly so big or so painful as I'd expected it to be.

My next big challenge will come in a few days, I think...when my Mom comes out to visit. She flies in on Tuesday and stays through Sunday. Part of the challenge comes just from having my personal routines disrupted. Part of it comes from the fact that Mom's as much of a junk-food junkie as me...and likes to eat out a lot. But I'm ready for it. She can eat whatever she wants, and I'll be happy to eat my salads and fruits right alongside her. When we go out, I'll just make sure we avoid fast food altogether and aim for restaurants where I know I can get a good, hearty salad made my way. She won't try to undermine me or anything...not intentionally, anyhow. She'll do her best to be supportive. And hopefully while she's here, I can be a good influence on her and be a living demonstration on how good eating right will make you feel. Maybe I'll inspire her toward making a similar commitment. I do believe this lifestyle would make the most astonishing changes in her life...if she would do it. As it is now, she's borderline diabetic, has thyroid issues, had breast cancer (small, caught early, and she's fine now in that regard), seriously allergic to refined wheat and/or yeast, and she can barely walk and can't climb even the smallest steps. I can see my future in her if I don't get a handle on my own weight and health issues NOW. I love her so much...and pray that she will find the same sort of inspiration I have. I know I can't force it on her or "talk her into it"....heck, if I were capable of that, I'd've talked myself into it years and years ago. But I can share my own personal insights and how my thoughts have changed to bring me to where I am... and maybe the seeds will be planted in fertile ground.

Here's a very easy recipe for anyone to try if they like...it makes a fine meal!

Hummus & Veggie-slaw Rolls

Hummus:
1 can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste...find it at health food stores)
2 tbsp lemon juice
3-4 cloves garlic - crushed or finely chopped
1/2 of the juice in the chickpea can

Blend all ingredients together until mostly smooth. Chill.

Veggie-slaw
1/4 head iceberg lettuce - finely chopped
1/2 large cucumber - finely chopped
1/4 red onion - finely chopped
1 cup shredded carrots

Toss the ingredients together and chill.

Spread hummus on whole wheat tortilla.
Cover hummus with a generous handful of slaw.
Roll and enjoy!

Would work well with whole wheat pita bread as well. And whatever your favorite veggies are, chopped fine and mixed into a sort of slaw. (No dressing needed!)

I like it a little heavy on the garlic...it tastes strong if you eat the hummus alone...but when spread on the bread with the veggies mixed in, the seasoning comes through perfectly!

I guess that's enough rambling for tonight!

Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
- Philippians 1:6

G'night!
-- Judy

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You're doing well Judy, keep it up. I think I'll give that recipe a try, sounds like it would be good and quick.
    Thanks, Mark!! The hardest part of the whole recipe is getting the hummus out of the blender.
    LEO Privacy is the app for everyone I just downloaded it and I loved it, no one can just enter my phone without permission. It helps me to [URL="http://bit.ly/blogleo1"]hide[/URL] images and videos. The most important is that it locks my important apps. I love this applock.